Trojans Sweep Sun Devils, 7-0
March 12, 2004
LOS ANGELES -- The fourth-ranked USC men's tennis team had little difficulty bouncing back from Thursday's loss, sweeping No. 22 Arizona State, 7-0, on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 9-2 overall and 2-0 in the Pac-10, while the Sun Devils fall to 4-6 overall and 0-1 in conference play.
'This was a very satisfying victory for us after the loss to Duke,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'This was an important win in a Pac-10 counting match and I'm glad the team stepped up.'
The Trojans easily swept through doubles play, winning by an 8-5 score at center court and 8-4 scores at the No. 2 and 3 positions.
With a 1-0 lead heading into singles, Ruben Torres was the first off the court for the Trojans as he defeated Jonathan Kinsella, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 4. No. 25 Adriano Biasella followed with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over No. 93 Chris Stewart on center court and minutes later, junior Johan Berg clinched the USC decision with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Andy Colombo at the No. 2 position.
Arizona State won only one set in the match as Clinton Letcher pushed Jamil Al-Agba to a third set before falling 6-1, 5-7, 6-4.
The Trojans return to the court on Saturday, March 13, for their third-consecutive match when they host 25th-ranked Arizona at 1 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#4 USC 7, #22 Arizona State 0
(1) Berg/Biasella (USC) def. Stewart/Colombo (ASU) - 8-5
(2) #12 Hoskins/Langre (USC) def. Kinsella/Letcher (ASU) - 8-4
(3) Parker Collins/Torres (USC) def. Davies/McBride (ASU) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #25 Adriano Biasella (USC) def. #93 Chris Stewart (ASU) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) #56 Johan Berg (USC) def. Andy Colombo (ASU) - 7-5, 6-1*
(3) #53 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) - 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) #80 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Christopher Biro (ASU) - 6-4, 6-2
(6) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Daniel Davies (ASU) - 6-3, 6-2
* Match clinching point.
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 6, 5, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive