Women of Troy Defeat Wildcats, 5-2
March 13, 2004
TUCSON, Ariz. - A two-hour rain delay proved no trouble for the 11th-ranked USC women's tennis team as it defeated No. 29 Arizona, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon in Tucson. With the victory, the Women of Troy improve to 10-3 overall and 4-0 in the Pac-10. The win also extends USC's win streak to six straight.
USC won two of three doubles matches to claim the first point of the afternoon. Luana Magnani and Carine Vermeulen fell to Arizona's 17th-ranked pair of Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar at No. 1 to start play. Anca Anastasiu and Dianne Matias then evened the playing field with an 8-6 win at court two. It was Judy DeVera and Bernadette Bayani who clinched the doubles point thanks to a 9-8 win in the tiebreaker at the No. 3 spot.
Unfortunately, Magnani's day ended shortly after when she was forced to retire her singles match to Hollands at center court, giving the Wildcats their first point of the afternoon. Arizona took a 2-1 lead when Jessie Rochefort beat Bayani at No. 6, 6-2, 6-1, but it was the last point the Wildcats would garner.
USC captured the remaining four matches in two sets. Vermeulen beat Mlakar, 6-1, 7-5, at court two, followed by Dianne Matias' win over Kasia Jakowlew, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 4 spot. DeVera collected the match-clinching fourth point when she beat Kelly Perry, 7-5, 6-3, on court five.
The Women of Troy next travel to Texas to face the Longhorns on Saturday, March 20, at 1 p.m. CST.
#11 USC 5, #29 Arizona 2
(1) #17 Hollands/Mlakar (Ariz) def. #14 Magnani/Vermeulen (USC) - 8-4
(2) Anastasiu/Matias (USC) def. Perry/Larocque (Ariz) - 8-6
(3) DeVera/Bayani (USC) def. Ferreria/Rochefort (Ariz) - 9-8
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #31 Dianne Hollands (Ariz) def. #23 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-0, ret.
(2) #89 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. #72 Maja Mlakar (Ariz) - 6-1, 7-5
(3) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Debbie Larocque (Ariz) - 7-5, 6-1
(4) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Kasia Jakowlew (Ariz) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Kelly Perry (Ariz) - 7-5, 6-3*
(6) Jessie Rochefort (Ariz) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-2, 6-1
*Match clinching victory.
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 3