Men's Tennis Blanks Ball State
March 20, 2004
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 25 Arizona men's tennis team shut out No. 74 Ball State on Saturday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center, improving to 9-6 on the season.
In the No. 1 doubles spot, Roger Matalonga and Colin O'Grady notched their 12th win of the season with a 9-8 victory over Ball State's duo of Matthew Baccarani and Patrick Thompson. In the second position, Paul Warkentin and Daniel Andrus improved to 12-7 on the season, defeating the Cardinals' Matt Laramore and Brad Rhodes, 8-5. Arizona's No. 3 team of Whi Kim and Timothy Mullane improved 3-4 with an 8-4 win over Paul Newman and Klint Knable.
In singles play, Matalonga defeated Baccarani in the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 6-4, notching his 18th win of the year. In the second spot, Kim won his fourth match of the year with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Thompson. After dropping his first set to Laramore in the third position, 2-6, Lloyd came back with 6-4, 6-1 wins to notch his 14th match of the season. In the fourth spot, O'Grady defeated Ball State's Michael Heule, 6-4, 6-1. Andrus won in the fifth spot, defeating Newman, 6-2, 6-2. Rounding out the day for the Cats, Warkentin defeated Knable in the sixth spot, 7-5, 6-4.
The Wildcats will be in action again on Sunday versus Clemson at 10 a.m. at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) def. Baccarani/Thompson (BS), 9-8
2. Warkentin/Andrus (UA) def. Laramore/Rhodes (BS), 8-5
3. Kim/Mullane (UA) def. Newman/Knable (BS), 8-4
1. Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Matthew Baccarani (BS), 6-2, 6-4
2. Whi Kim (UA) def. Patrick Thompson (BS), 6-4, 6-1
3. Tom Lloyd (UA) def. Matt Laramore (BS), 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Michael Heule, 6-4, 6-1
5. Daniel Andrus (UA) def. Paul Newman (BS), 6-2, 6-2
6. Paul Warkentin (UA) def. Klint Knable (BS), 7-5, 6-4