Men's Tennis Beats LMU, 7-0, At Indian Wells
March 21, 2004
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - In a match played on neutral territory with temperatures that exceeded 100 degrees, the sixth-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated No. 75 Loyola Marymount, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon. The match was played at the Indian Wells Tennis Resort in Palm Springs, Calif., taking place prior to the men's and women's singles finals of the Pacific Life Open.
With the win, the Trojans improve to 12-2 overall this season, while the Lions fall to 7-7.
New doubles teams took the court for USC as the Trojans walked away with the necessary two victories to earn the first point of the match. Johan Berg and Parker Collins defeated LMU's Beau Berglund and Linas Cecenas, 8-4, at center court, and Adriano Biasella and Scott Patterson got past Nicolas Terrien and Ashton Politanoff, 9-7, at court three.
Collins and Patterson also entered the Trojans' singles lineup for the match and won both of their matches at the No. 5 and 6 spots as USC rolled through singles play. With two-set victories at the No. 1 through 5 positions, the Trojans allowed the Lions to score no more than five total points on each court. Patterson completed the afternoon with his come-from-behind effort to surpass Michael Thomson, 6-7(4), 6-2, 10-8.
USC hits the road for two nonconference matches against No. 28 Texas and No. 32 Tulsa this week. The Trojans face the Longhorns in Austin, Texas, on Thursday, March 25, then travel to Tulsa, Okla., for a match on Saturday, March 27.
#6 USC 7, #75 Loyola Marymount 0
(1) Berg/Collins (USC) def. Berglund/Cicenas (LMU) - 8-4
(2) Phillips/Wojnarowicz (LMU) def. Langre/Al-Agba (USC) - 8-4
(3) Biasella/Patterson (USC) def. Politanoff/Terrien (LMU) - 9-7
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #25 Adriano Biasella (USC) def. Nicolas Terrien (LMU) - 6-3, 6-0
(2) #53 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Linas Cecenas (LMU) - 6-2, 6-0
(3) #56 Johan Berg (USC) def. Michael Wojnarowicz (LMU) - 6-2, 6-0
(4) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Beau Berglund (LMU) - 6-3, 6-3
(5) Parker Collins (USC) def. Matt Phillips (LMU) - 6-1, 6-4
(6) Scott Patterson (USC) def. Michael Thomsen (LMU) - 6-7(4), 6-2, 10-8