No. 26 Men's Tennis Upends BYU, 5-2
March 22, 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 26 Arizona State men's tennis team defeated the Brigham Young Cougars, 5-2, Monday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. With the victory the Sun Devils improve to 6-7 overall and 0-2 in the Pac-10, while the Cougars fall to 2-11 on the season.
BYU took the early lead by winning two of three doubles matches to claim the first point of the afternoon. The Sun Devils lone win came at the No. 3 doubles position when Ryan McBride (So., Tempe, Ariz.) and Clinton Letcher (Jr., Melbourne, Australia) defeated the Cougars' Christian Hand and Alonso Medina, 8-6. The Cougars came out victorious in No. 1 and No. 2 doubles respectively as the No. 1 team of Erik Nyman and Nima Roshan defeated ASU's pair of Andy Colombo (Jr., Rochester, N.Y.) and Jonathan Kinsella (So., Astley, England), 8-5. The No. 2 duo of Richard Dasek and Dominik Kaufhold upended Chris Stewart (Sr., Adelaide, Australia) and Daniel Davies (So., Sydney, Australia), 8-5.
The Sun Devils bounced back in singles action grabbing five of the six matches to claim the victory. Stewart, playing in the No. 2 position for the Sun Devils, defeated Dasek in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, while Letcher took the victory in the No. 3 spot, beating Hand, 7-6 (4), 6-0. ASU kept rolling as Kinsella pulled off the win at No. 4 singles, 7-5, 6-3, against Ivan Kokurin. Rounding out the day, ASU's Christopher Biro (Fr., Adelaide, Australia) took a hard-fought match against Roshan, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4, to win at No. 5 singles as McBride claimed victory over Medina, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 6 singles.
The Cougars' lone singles victory came at No. 1 singles when Nyman upended Colombo, 6-4, 6-4.
ASU takes the court again on Thursday, March 25 at 1:30 p.m. at the Whiteman Tennis Center when they host Santa Clara.
No. 26 ASU 5, BYU 2
1) Nyman-Roshan (BYU) d. Colombo-Kinsella (ASU) 8-5
2) Dasek-Kaufhold (BYU) d. Stewart-Daniel Davies (ASU) 8-5
3) Letcher-McBride (ASU) d. Hand-Medina (BYU) 8-6
1) Erik Nyman (BYU) d. Andy Colombo (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
2) Chris Stewart (ASU) d. Richard Dasek (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
3) Clint Letcher (ASU) d. Christian Hand (BYU) 7-6 (4), 6-0
4) Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) d. Ivan Kokurin (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
5) Christopher Biro (ASU) d. Nima Roshan (BYU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
6) Ryan McBride (ASU) d. Alonso Medina (BYU) 6-4, 6-4