No. 7 Stanford Falls To No. 3 Baylor, 5-2
March 22, 2004
STANFORD, Calif. - The No. 7 ranked Stanford University men's tennis team fell to the No. 3 ranked Baylor University Bears, 5-2, at the Taube Tennis Center, Monday afternoon. With the loss, the Cardinal fall to 8-3 on the year, while the Bears improve to 12-2 on the year.
The Cardinal dropped the doubles point, losing two of the three doubles matches. The doubles tandem of senior captain Carter Morris and junior Phil Sheng collected the lone doubles win for the Cardinal, defeating Baylor's Reiner Neurohr and Ivor Lovrak, 8-4.
In singles competition, the Bears captured four of the six singles matches to seal the win. Junior Sam Warburg and freshman James Wan continued to play well for the Cardinal, picking up the Cardinal's two singles wins. Warburg, playing at the No. 1 singles spot, earned a big 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 win over No. 1 ranked Benedikt Dorsch. Warburg has now improved his record at the No. 1 spot to 6-0. Wan collected a 6-4, 6-2 straight sets win over Neurohr to improve his season record to 15-2 and push his dual match record to a perfect 12-0.
The Cardinal take the court tomorrow when they host the BYU Cougars at 11:00 am (PT) at the Taube Tennis Center. Stanford will then open Pac-10 play this weekend when they host No. 22 Washington and No. 51 Oregon on Friday and Saturday.
Baylor - 5
Stanford - 2
Doubles (Baylor Wins Point)
1. Dorsch/Zgaga (B) def. Corkery/Warburg, 8-5
2. Becker/Marin (B) def. Pade/Wan, 8-1
3. Morris/Sheng (S) def. Lovrak/Neurohr, 8-4
1. #28 S. Warburg (S) def. #1 B. Dorsch, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0
2. #5 B. Becker (B) def. #99 KC Corkery, 7-6, 6-1
3. M. Marin (B) def. J. Pade, 6-3, 6-3
4. M Zgaga (B) def. P. Sheng, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. J. wan (S) def. R. Neurohr, 6-4, 6-2
6. I. Lovrak (B) def. C. Morris, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive