Men's Tennis Prepares For Pac-10 Slate With 5-2 Win Over UC Santa Cruz
March 23, 2004
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - Washington men's tennis added a match to its schedule on its trip to California for spring break, and picked up a 5-2 win over the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs in Santa Cruz on Saturday, March 20. The Huskies will remain in the Bay Area to open Pac-10 play at Stanford and at Cal this weekend.
The Huskies swept all three doubles matches versus the Slugs, led by Daniel Chu and Alex Vlaski's 8-4 win in the No. 1 spot. Alex Slovic and Nick Weiss won at No. 2 and Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler earned the victory at No. 3.
In singles action, Washington won four of six matches including straight set victories from Vlaski and Slovic. Scharler earned a three-set win at No. 4 singles, winning the first set 6-3, before losing 5-7 in the second. He stormed back with a 6-1 win in the third to take the victory. Weiss bounced back from a first-set loss at No. 5 singles, with 6-2, 6-1 wins in the second and third sets.
UW is ranked 22nd in the latest ITA team rankings released today. Vlaski is ranked sixth in the nation in singles, while Slovic is ranked 43rd. As a doubles pair they are ranked 39th.
Washington opens Pac-10 this week at the Bay Area schools, opening at No. 10 Stanford, Friday, March 26, at 1:30 p.m. in Palo Alto. The Huskies then face No. 29 Cal, Saturday, March 27, at 1 p.m. in Berkeley. Washington then returns home for a five-match home-stand with the rest of its Pac-10 foes.
Saturday, March 20, 2004
Washington 5, UC Santa Cruz 2
Santa Cruz, Calif.
1. Daniel Chu/Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Matt Brunner/Kellen Ali-Christie (UCSC), 8-4
2. Alex Slovic/Nick Weiss (UW) def. Shane Templeman/Matt Seeberger (UCSC), 8-5
3. Palmanshofer/Scharler (UW) def. Brian Casey/Bryce Parmelly (UCSC), 8-1
1. Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Brian Casey (UCSC), 6-2, 6-3
2. Alex Slovic (UW) def. Matt Seeberger (UCSC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Shane Templeman (UCSC) def. Daniel Chu (UW), 6-2, 6-4
4. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Matt Brunner (UCSC), 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
5. Nick Weiss (UW) def. Kevin Casey (UCSC), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrew Cohen (UCSC) def. Mike Ricks (UW), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive