Ten Questions with Safety Darrell Brooks
April 30, 2004
By Mitchell Kapler
1.Coming from high school what was the biggest adjustment you had to make on the field? The biggest thing being a defensive back had to be the speed of the game. You have to be really decisive in your decisions; you really have to be a complete player instead of relying fully on your talent. Thinking the game through becomes a major factor.
2. Who was your favorite player growing up? Well growing up I always loved defensive players for some reason. I loved watching Steve Atwater (Safety) for the Broncos. Jack Tatum (Safety) of the Raiders is someone else I have followed as well.
3. What is your favorite part of game day? The pre-game highlights on the scoreboard at Arizona Stadium just pump me up like no other. I stand in the back so that once the highlights are finished I can sprint out onto the field as the boom of the fireworks go off. At that point I am ready to go light it up.
4. What is in your IPOD right now?I have been listening to Joe 'And then' a lot. I also love old JAY-Z stuff like 'Reasonable Doubts.'
5.What made you decide to play football at Arizona? Ever since I was a kid I knew I wanted to play in the Pac-10. I wanted to get out of California so Arizona presented the best situation. Plus the players on my recruiting trip had a lot to do with it.
6. What's your major and do you have a favorite class? I'm a psychology major with a business minor. I'd have to say that my favorite class was marketing because the teacher was really cool. He was personal and knew how to present the information so that the students could understand.
7. Any pre-game rituals or preparations? Before the game I listen to R&B, anything that keeps me calm. I am completely silent and calm to save my energy so that I am focused. I try to stay relaxed; nothing is going to juice me up until I get on the field.
8.When you're not working out & going to school, what do you do? I really am a homebody. I relax and watch movies a lot. I really just chill out. When I am at home in California, I just hang out with the family.
9. What's your favorite movie? Coming to America has to be on the top. I also love Top Gun, use to watch that one about two times a day when I was a kid. Right now I think the Kill Bill series is pretty cool.
10. Any last thoughts or shout outs? I am just ready for this defense to be one of the best in the nation and for our team to get this program back to the prestige it use to be. I want to give a shout out to my mother, father and brother plus everyone else who has stuck with me all the way up to this point and still continue to support me.