This Week in Pac-10 Women's Soccer
Sept. 7, 2004
UCLA, WASHINGTON CRACK NATIONAL TOP-5
Both UCLA (3-0-0) and WASHINGTON (3-0-0) moved into the Top-5 in this week's NSCAA/adidas national rankings. The Bruins and Huskies are ranked No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, in the NSCAA/adidas poll. They open the week at No. 8 (UCLA) and No. 12 (Washington) in the Sept. 7 Soccer America Top-25. Coming off its third straight victory over a ranked opponent, Washington opens a 10-game road trip at the Portland Invitational this weekend... UCLA takes on No. 5/9 Virginia Friday night in the UVA Soccer Classic... In other ranked action, No. 16/nr ARIZONA STATE (2-1-0) hosts No. 2/2 Notre Dame and USC (2-2-0) faces No. 15/17 Tennessse in the First Tennessee Lady Vol Classic... In addition to the Bruins and Huskies, ARIZONA (4-0-0) and OREGON STATE (3-0-0) also sport perfect records heading into the third week of the season... The Wildcats are off to the program's best ever start.THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Fri., Sept. 10
ARIZONA at West Virginia, 7 p.m.
Notre Dame at ARIZONA STATE, 7 p.m.
Colgate vs. CALIFORNIA, 1 p.m. (1)
Richmond vs. OREGON STATE, 2 p.m.
STANFORD at Missouri 7 p.m.
UCLA at Virginia, 7 p,m, (2)
Mississippi State vs. USC, 5:30 p.m. (3)
Alabama-Birmingham vs. WASHINGTON, 4:30 p.m. (4)
New Mexico vs. WASHINGTON STATE, 1 p.m. (5)
Sun., Sept. 12
ARIZONA at Duquesne, 11 a.m.
San Jose State vs. CALIFORNIA, 2 p.m. (1)
OREGON STATE at Va Commonwealth, 9 a.m.
STANFORD at Nebraska, 1 p.m.
Maryland vs. UCLA, Noon (2)
USC at Tennessee, 3 p.m. (3)
Webter State vs. WASHINGTON, Noon (4)
Northern Colorado vs. WASHINGTON STATE, 11 a.m. (5)
All times are local to game sites.
(1) Saint Mary's Invitational, Moraga, Calif.
(2) UVA Soccer Classic, Charlottesville, Va.
(3) First Tennessee Lady Vol. Classic, Knoxville, Tenn.
(4) Portland Invitational, Portland, Ore.
(5) Game played in Los Angeles, Calif.PAC-10 WOMEN'S SOCCER NOTES...Off to its best start in program history, ARIZONA (4-0-0) travels to West Virginia and Duquesne this weekend... The Wildcats have not allowed a goal through seven matches, and FR D Kaity Heath was named the Most Valuable Defender of the Arizona Invitational. ARIZONA STATE opens its 2004 home campaign against second-ranked Notre Dame on Saturday... JR F Katie Leahy leads the team in goals (3) and is second in points (6). Through four games this season, CALIFORNIA has recorded three shutouts... JR GK Ashley Sulprizio has allowed four goals, all to top-ranked North Carolina, in 362 minutes for a 0.99 goals against average. OREGON has a weekend off from competition, before heading to the Northeast next week to play returning NCAA tournament qualifier Central Connecticut State, (Sept. 17) and 2003 NCAA runner-up Connecticut (Sept. 19)... JR F Caitlin Gamble scored the game-winner in the Ducks' 3-2 overtime win at Weber State. With a perfect 4-0-0 record, OREGON STATE is off to its best start since the 1995 season, when the team began 5-0-0... The Beavers make their first road trip this week, traveling to the Virginia Commonwealth Invitational... JR F Stacey Mescher posted a goal and three assists last week. STANFORD continues its road stretch with games at Missouri and Nebraska this weekend... In the 2-1 loss at No. 2 Notre Dame, SR GK Nicole Barnhart posted six saves... JR MF Jenny Farenbaugh was named to the Notre Dame adidas Classic All-Tournament team. UCLA hits the road this week for games against Virginia and Maryland at the Virginia Nike Classic... The Bruins (3-0-0) are off to their best start since opening with a 11-0-0 record in 2001... SR F Kim Devine recorded a hat trick in the team's 6-1 win over UC Santa Barbara. USC will take on Mississippi State and Tennessee in the First Tennessee Lady Vol Classic... SO F Rosa Anna Tantillo scored two goals in the 3-2 overtime win over Rutgers, including the game-winner. WASHINGTON has notched three straight victories over ranked opponents for the first time in program history... SR MF Kelley Schweighart netted the game-winning goal in the 2-1 victory over No. 8 Tennessee... The Huskies open a 10-game road trip Friday night in Portland. SO GK Katie Hultin made 11 saves, including three in overtime, as WASHINGTON STATE held No. 8 Tennessee to a scoreless tie... The blanking was Hultin's second in three games... WSU travels to Los Angeles this week for the Loyola Marymount Tournament.
PAC-10 VS. OTHER CONFERENCESAtlantic Coast 0-3-0Atlantic 10 1-0-0Big East 1-1-0Big Sky 1-1-0Big Ten 2-0-0Big 12 1-0-0Big West 3-1-0Colonial Athletic Association 0-0-0Conference USA 0-1-0East Coast Athletic 2-0-0Ivy League 0-0-0Mid-America Athletic 1-0-0Missouri Valley 2-0-0Mountain West 3-1-1Southeastern 1-0-1Southern 1-0-0Sun Belt 1-0-0Western Athletic 0-1-0West Coast 1-1-0Independent 0-0-0Total-All 23-10-2Total-Div. I 23-10-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 7:00pm PTLive