Men's Cross Country Finishes Third at Stanford Invitational
Sept. 26, 2004
UCLA Competes At Stanford CC Invitational on Saturday -- In 4000m Races, Bruin Women Place Third, UCLA Men Finish
Eric Peterson's UCLA cross country teams on Saturday competed at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto. Running on the Stanford Golf Course, both Bruin squads competed in the 4000m races.
The Bruin women, nationally ranked No. 9 this week, finished third (with 70 points, in a 19-team field) and the Bruin men placed also placed third (49 points, in a 17-team field).
In team scoring, the Bruins placed third, behind No. 1 ranked Stanford (21 points) and SMU (63 points).
UCLA had two runners in the Top 10 - sophomore Alison Costello (6th, 14:01) and junior Jenna Timinsky (10th, 14:11). The Bruins placed four more runners in the Top 30 - sophomore Ashley Caldwell (14th, 14:28), freshman Monika Rothenburger (19th, 14:35), junior Allison Hall (21st, 14:42) and freshman Olga Aulet-Leon (29th, 14:52).
'We were strongly led today by Alison and Jenna,' Peterson said. 'They have had a high-level of training throughout the summer and during our preseason training and are looking to have great cross country seasons.
'It's nice to have Ashley back in our rotation,' he said. 'This is her first meet this season and as a returning All-American, she adds so much quality experience to our lineup.
'We are looking forward to the upcoming Notre Dame Invitational,' Peterson said. 'We have a young team and in the weeks ahead, as the distances on the courses increase and as our young runners gain more experience, we are expecting to be a nationally-competitive squad.'
The UCLA men finished third behind Oregon and Stanford, who tied for first place with 45 points a piece. The men had two runners in the Top-10 - seniors Jon Rankin (3rd, 12:01) a nd Erik Emilsson (10th, 12:12). Every Bruin competing finished in the Top-25 - Junior Micky Cobrin (11th, 12:21), senior Ben Aragon (12th, 12:21), sophomore Austin Ramos (13th, 12:22), and freshman Mike Haddan (14th, 12:22) and Kyle Shackleton (22nd, 12:33).
The Bruins next Friday (Oct. 1) travel to South Bend, IN to compete in the Notre Dame Invitational, featuring some of the nation's top-ranked women and men's cross country teams.
Stanford Cross Country Invitational
Sept. 25, 2004
Stanford Golf Course
Team Scoring (4000m/Top 5 of 19 teams)
1. Stanford 21, 2. SMU 63, 3. UCLA 70, 4. Kentucky 153, 5. Vanderbilt 172.
Overall Individual Results (Top 5 of 158 runners)
1. Sara Bei, SU, 13:16; 2. Shannon Bergstedt, SU, 13:55; 3. Katy Trotter, SU, 13:56; 4. Karen Van Rooyen, SMU, 13:57; 5. Brianna Carstensen, APU, 14:00.
UCLA Individuals ( 9 runners)
6. Alison Costello, 14:01; 10. Jenna Timinsky, 14:11; 14. Ashley Caldwell, 14:28; 19. Monika Rothenburger, 14:35; 21. Allison Hall, 14:42; 29 . Olga Aulet-Leon, 14:52; 66. Leslie Barrie, 15:32; 79. Lori Mann, 15:39; 86. Sarah West, 15:42.
Team Scoring (4000m/Top 5 of 17 teams)1. Oregon, 45 1. Stanford, 45 3. UCLA, 49 4. Chico State, 144 5. Kentucky, 155
Overall Individual Results (Top 5 of 120 runners)
1. Ryan Andrus, Oregon, 11:53 2. Josephat Kieno, Alliance International, 11:58 3. Jon Rankin, UCLA, 12:01 4. Steven DeWitt, Stanford, 12:02 5. Eric Logsdon, Oregon, 12:03.
UCLA Individuals (7 runners)
3. Jon Rankin, 12:01, 10. Erik Emilsson, 12:12, 11. Micky Cobrin, 12:21, 12. Ben Aragon, 12:21, 13. Austin Ramos, 12:22, 14. Mike Haddan, 12:22, 22. Kyle Shackleton, 12:33.