Five Cardinal Continue in Singles Action
Oct. 23, 2004
Stanford, Calif. - The Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional Championships had a shorter day than expected at Taube Tennis Stadium, as rain forced play to be suspended earlier today. In singles action, all five Cardinal players won their matches in two sets to advance to the Round of 16, while a pair of doubles duos will continue in the quarterfinals tomorrow.
Un-seeded Cardinal freshman Whitney Deason posted the biggest upset of the tournament, knocking off second-seeded Oregon's Daria Panova in two sets (6-4, 6-0). Deason and fellow freshman Leila Hodzic also bumped off fifth-seeded doubles duo KathrinWinterhltr and LuciaTallo of Fresno State, 8-3.
Stanford's four seeded singles players will move on to the Round of 16, as top-seeded Alice Barnes posted a 6-2, 6-2 win over Sac. State's CeciliaHelland, fourth-seeded Erin Burdette posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Washington State's Nora Gaal, sixth-seeded Theresa Logar defeated Cristina Visico (Cal), 6-4, 6-1, and No. 11 Anne Yelsey gave up only one game in her 6-1, 6-0 decision over Washington State's Amy Toth.
Sunday matches will begin with main draw doubles quarterfinals, as well as the consolation matches that were already on court today.
Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional Championships
Saturday, October 23, 2004 * matches suspended due to rain
Stanford, Calif. * Taube Tennis Stadium
Saturday's Singles Results (Stanford Only)
* No. 1 Alice Barnes (2-0, Advanced to Round of 16) - def. CeciliaHelland (Sac St.), 6-2, 6-2.
* No. 4 Erin Burdette (2-0, Advanced to Round of 16) - def. NoraGaal (WSU), 6-1, 6-1.
* No. 6 Theresa Logar (2-0, Advanced to Round of 16) - def. CristinaVisico (Cal), 6-4, 6-1.
* No. 11 Anne Yelsey (3-0, Advanced to Round of 16) def. AmyToth (WSU), 6-1, 6-0.
* Whitney Deason (3-0, Advanced to Round of 16) - def. No. 2 DariaPanova (Oregon), 6-4, 6-0.
Saturday's Doubles Results (Stanford Only)
* No. 1 Alice Barnes/Erin Burdette (2-0, Advanced to Quarterfinals) - def.ChristieFeyen/JackieSoltysik(Portland), 8-4.
* No. 6 Amber Liu/Anne Yelsey (1-1) - lost to CourtneyJantz/LuciaSainz(Fresno St.), 8-6.
* LeilaHodzic/Whitney Deason (3-0, Advanced to Quarterfinals) - def. No. 5 Kathrin Winterhltr/LuciaTallo (Fresno St.), 8-3
* Joanna Kao/Theresa Logar (2-1) - lost to No. 7 NicoleShabaz/SamanthaWaller (Cal Poly), 8-4.