Barnes Advances to Semifinals
Oct. 25, 2004
Stanford, Calif. - Cardinal junior Alice Barnes, the top-seeded singles player, won two matches on Sunday to advance to the semifinals of the Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional Championships at the Taube Tennis Stadium. The doubles main draw will feature a Stanford showdown, as top-seeded Barnes and Erin Burdette will face freshman pair Leila Hodzic and Whitney Deason at 9 a.m. on Monday morning in the semifinals.
Barnes defeated two seeded players yesterday in singles, with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over No. 13 Fresno State's Lucia Tallo and a 6-3, 6-4 victory over 10th-seeded Dominika Dieskova of Oregon. She will face Washington's DeaSumantri, the No. 3 seed. The Cardinal's other four singles players were all knocked out of the main draw yesterday -all by seeded opponents.
In doubles, Barnes and Burdette notched an 8-1 victory over Washington State's Martinez and Sallai, while Deason and Hodzic posted an 8-4 victory over Pacific's Heil and Mrazovic to advance to the semifinals. The pairs will face off for the right to advance to the finals at 10 a.m.
Singles semifinals are slated to begin at noon today, match time for the championship is to be determined. Doubles semifinals will begin at 9 a.m., with the finals starting at 10 a.m.
Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional Championships
Sunday, October 24, 2004
Stanford, Calif. * Taube Tennis Stadium
Sunday's Singles Results (Stanford Only)
* No. 1 Alice Barnes (4-0, Advanced to Semifinals) - def. No. 13 LuciaTallo (Fresno St.), 6-2. 6-0; def. No. 10 DominikaDieskova (Oregon), 6-3, 6-4.
* No. 4 Erin Burdette (3-1) - def. No. 16 DinkaHadzic (Washington), 6-2, 6-0; lost to Margrita Karnaukva (Sac St.), 7-6(5), 6-2.
* No. 6 Theresa Logar (2-1) - lost to No. 9 SashaPodkolzina (Cal), 6-1, 6-3.
* No. 11 Anne Yelsey (3-1) - lost to No. 8 SuziBabos (Cal), 6-2, 6-3.
* Whitney Deason (4-1) - def. LuciaSainz (Fresno St.), 6-3, 6-0; lost to No. 8 SuziBabos (Cal), 6-3, 7-6(6).
Sunday's Doubles Results (Stanford Only)
* No. 1 Alice Barnes/Erin Burdette (3-0, Advanced to Semifinals) - def.ChrisMartinez/OrsolyaSallai (WSU), 8-1.
* LeilaHodzic/Whitney Deason (4-0, Advanced to Semifinals) - def. KatharinaHeil/VanaMrazovic (Pacific), 8-4.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive