Q & A With Susie Mathews
1. How did you get started playing golf?
Instead of caddying for my parents on weekends, I decided to join them.
2. What has been the highlight of your athletic career?
Winning the NCAA Championship in 2004 with UCLA
3. What is the toughest course you ever played?
New South Wales Golf Course
4. What is the most enjoyable course you ever played and why?
Kalmar Golf Course in Sweden where I won a professional tournament onthe Telia Tour
5. Who was the best golfer you ever played against?
Karrie Webb at the Australian Women's Open
6. Who was the best athlete you ever played against in any sport?
7. What is your favorite professional team and why?
Australian Men's Cricket team - entertaining, talented and successful inworld competition
8. Do you have any pre-game superstitions or rituals?
9. Who is your golf idol and why?
Tiger Woods - he is exciting to watch and has a brilliant short game
10. Who is your sports idol and why?
Andre Agassi - brilliance and longevity
11. What was your most embarrassing moment on a golf course?
Being swooped by a magpie and then walking down the hole with my club inthe air
12. What is your favorite sport other than your own?
13. What was your favorite moment of last season?
Sinking the final putt for UCLA to win the NCAA Championship.
14. Who would you like to face one-on-one in match play?
15. If you could change anything about golf, what would you change?
Reduce the large number of rules
16. If you could give advice to a young golfer, what would it be?
Hit the ball as far as you can and have fun.
17. What's your favorite tournament city to visit?
18. Who is the first person you call after a match?
My mum, Penny
19. What is the one movie you must have in your movie collection?
Miracle - totally inspirational
20. What is the TV show you can't miss?
Law and Order
21. If you could be a character on any TV show, who would it be and why?
Donald Trump - I would love to have his wealth, power and influence.
22. What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid?
23. What celebrity do you admire most?
24. What is in your CD player right now?
25. What is the most embarrassing CD in your collection?
Australian Rules Football Club theme songs
26. What is the most embarrassing movie you've ever paid to see?
27. Name your favorite UCLA player in any sport and why.Jimmy Connors, tennis superstar - brilliant reflexes and always entertaining
28. What is your favorite place on campus?
The putting green and practice tee on the IM field
29. Why did you choose UCLA?
Reputation and great sport programs
30. What class at UCLA have you liked best?
Computing - making websites
31. What is your favorite book?
The Client by John Grisham
32. Who do you admire most in life and why?
My grandfather - he is an outstanding sportsperson with exceptionalsportsmanship and great people skills
33. Who would play in your dream foursome (plus yourself)?
Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Greg Norman
34. What's the best advice anyone ever gave you?
Don't try - just do.
35. With which golfer in history would you like to play?
36. Who is the one person you would want to be stuck on a deserted island with?
37. What is your nickname?
38. If you had one last meal, what would it be?
Sirloin steak, roast potatoes, raw carrots and frozen peas.
39. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
40. What is your favorite midnight snack?
41. Who is the most famous person you have met?
Ice hockey superstar - Wayne Gretzsky
42. What would you never be caught dead wearing?
High heel shoes
43. Do you have any phobias?
Snakes, spiders and dark hallways or alleys
44. What is your worst habit?
Leaving lights switched on day and night
45. What is the strangest thing that has ever happened to you?
Lightening strike right in front of me
46. What is the best Christmas or birthday present you have ever received?
A return trip from USA to Australia to visit my parents and friends
47. What was your favorite toy as a child?
48. What is your pet peeve?
Lateness and time-wasting
49. What do you miss most about living away from home?
My family, friends and home cooking
50. What is your favorite childhood memory?
Skiing in New Zealand with my family
51. What is your favorite thing to do outside of sports?
52. What is your favorite color?
53. What phrase or word do you use way too much?
'Thank you SO much...'
54. What is your favorite holiday and why?
Travel by plane to Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open - greatatmosphere and great tennis.
55. Tell us something about yourself that few people know.
I used to regularly win coloring-in competitions and great prizes. Oneprize, when I was 8years old, was to take all my school class membersto a live performance of Sesame Street at the Festival Theatre. Anotherprize was a huge toy Easter bunny with about 200 Easter eggs.