Stanford Sweeps Hawaii in Dual Match, 7-0
Nov. 23, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii - The Stanford men's tennis team swept Hawaii in a Fall dual match in Honolulu on Tuesday afternoon, 7-0. The Cardinal won all three doubles matches, and four of the team's six victories in singles play came in straight sets. The dual match served as a tune-up for the spring season, which Stanford begins at the Sherwood Cup on January 14.
The Cardinal opened the day by winning all three doubles matches. Junior KC Corkery and freshman Phil Kao teamed up to post an 8-5 over Hawaii's Dalibor Ptak and Ryan Sceats at the No. 1 doubles spot. At the No. 2 doubles position, senior Phil Sheng and sophomore Eric McKean handed Bryan Weinberg and Jarrod Diepraam an 8-2 defeat. The tandem of sophomore James Wan and junior Jon Wong closed out the doubles sweep, knocking off Chad Faulk and Derrick Lajola 8-3.
Stanford stayed aggressive during singles play, capturing all six matches to collect the 7-0 win. Corkery dispatched Ptak at the No. 1 singles position, 6-3, 6-2, while Sheng posted a 6-3, 6-2 win over Weinberg at the No. 2 spot. Wan defeated Sceats 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 3 position, and McKean also recorded a straight set win, defeating Diepraam 6-3, 6-4. Kao was stretched to three sets at the No. 5 spot, but won a hard-fought match against Faulk, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6. Wong finished off the sweep, topping Lajola in three sets 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.
The Cardinal wrapped up the Fall season with the dominating performance in Honolulu, and turns its attention to the 2005 Spring campaign that begins in January. Stanford will take part in the Sherwood Cup in Thousand Oaks in mid-January, and is slated to take on Cal in the season's first dual match on January 29 in Berkeley.
Stanford 7, Hawaii 0
Doubles (Stanford Wins Point)
1. KC Corkery/Phil Kao (S) def. Dalibor Ptak/Ryan Sceats (H) - 8-5
2. Phil Sheng/Eric McKean (S) def. Bryan Weinberg/Jarrod Diepraam (H) - 8-2
3. James Wan/Jon Wong (S) vs. Chad Faulk/Derrick Lajola - 8-3 (H)
1. KC Corkery (S) def. Dalibor Ptak (H) - 6-3, 6-2
2. Phil Sheng (S) def. Bryan Weinberg (H) - 6-3, 6-2
3. James Wan (S) def. Ryan Sceats (H) - 6-1, 6-0
4. Eric McKean (S) def. Jarrod Diepraam (H) - 6-3, 6-4
5. Phil Kao (S) def. Chad Faulk (H) - 6-3, 3-6, 7-6
6. Jon Wong (S) def. Derrick Lajola (H) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive