No. 1 Stanford Successful in First Tournaments of 2005
Jan. 14, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - Stanford tennis, ranked No. 1 in the nation, sent eight individuals to compete at tournaments in Seattle and Las Vegas. The Cardinal's Alice Barnes, Erin Burdette, Anne Yelsey and Kara Guzman are all competing at the Pac-10 Indoor Championships at the University of Washington, while Theresa Logar, Lejla Hodzic, Whitney Deason and Joanna Kao are all in action at the 2005 Freeman Memorial Tennis Championships at UNLV. Seven of the eight Cardinal players will continue in the main draws tomorrow, while two of the three doubles teams will continue on Saturday.
In the first singles flight of the Pac-10 Indoor Championships, No. 12 Barnes, the second seed, posted a 6-3, 6-3 victory over No. 122 Alex McGoodwin of UCLA in the first round, but results from her quarterfinal match versus USC's Lindsey Nelson are unavailable tonight. Fourth-seeded Burdette, ranked No. 22 in the nation, posted two-set wins over No. 70 Dianne Matias of USC and No. 31 Daria Panova to earn a spot in the semifinals. In the second singles flight, top-seeded Yelsey advanced to the semifinals after drawing a bye in the first round and posting a 6-3, 6-2 win over Saskia Nauenberg of Washington in the quarters.
In doubles action in Seattle, No. 7 Barnes and Burdette earned a bye in the first round and will play Lauren Colalillo and Kady Pooler of Arizona State in the quarterfinals.
Stanford's four entrants at the Freeman Championships all won their first two matches today to advance to the quarterfinals tomorrow. Logar, the defending Freeman Memorial Champion and 35th-ranked player nationally, is the sixth-seeded player at the tournament. Logar posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory over South Carolina's Chrystyn Lucas in the first round before defeating USC's Anca Anastasiu, ranked No. 62 nationally. Deason, ranked No. 41 and seeded No. 8 at the tournament, posted a three set win in her first round match before defeating #101 Nina Suvak of Florida, 7-6(5), 6-4. Fellow freshman Hodzic defeated two ranked foes today en route to the quarterfinals, besting No. 74 Lolita Frangulyan of Florida and No. 39 Natalie Frazier. In flight two singles, Kao also posted two wins, with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over UNLV's Stephanie Serrano and a 6-4, 6-2 win over Cal's Tiffany Lee.
In doubles action in Vegas, Hodzic and Deason, ranked No. 41 in the nation, advanced to the quarterfinals with an 8-4 victory over South Carolina duo Lucas and Mangda Wojdylo.
Competition will continue through Sunday at both tournaments.
2005 Women's Tennis Pac-10 Indoor Championships
Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center * University of Washington
Day One * Jan. 14, 2005
Flight One Singles
(2) #12 Alice Barnes (1-0, Advances to Quarterfinals): def. #122 Alex McGoodwin (UCLA), 6-3, 6-3, Round of 16 results not yet available.
(4) #22 Erin Burdette (2-0, Advances to Semifinals): def. #70 Dianne Matias (USC), 7-6 (4), 6-2; def. #31 Daria Panova (Oregon), 6-1, 6-1.Flight Two Singles
(1) #82 Anne Yelsey (1-0, Advances to Semifinals): BYE; def. Saskia Nauenberg (UW), 6-3, 6-2.Flight Three Singles
(2) Kara Guzman (0-1): lost to Monica Hoz de Vila (Oregon), 6-4, 6-1.Flight One Doubles
(1) #7 Alice Barnes/Erin Burdette (0-0, Advances to Quarterfinals): BYE.
2005 Freeman Memorial Tennis Championships
Fertitta Tennis Complex * Las Vegas, Nevada
Day One * Jan. 14, 2005
Flight One Singles
(6) #35 Theresa Logar (2-0, Advances to Quarterfinals): def. Chrystyn Lucas (South Carolina), 6-1, 6-1; def. #62 Anca Anastasiu (USC) 6-4, 6-4.
(8) #41 Whitney Deason (2-0, Advances to Quarterfinals): def. Kelly Hyndman (Georgia), 4-6, 6-2, 6-0; def. #101 Nina Suvak (Florida), 7-6 (5), 6-4.
Lejla Hodzic (2-0, Advances to Quarterfinals): def. #74 Lolita Frangulyan (Florida), 6-2, 6-3; def. (7) #39 Natalie Frazier (Georgia), 6-4, 7-5.
Flight Two Singles
Joanna Kao (2-0, Advances to Quarterfinals): def. Stephanie Serrano (UNLV), 6-1, 6-1; def. Tiffany Lee (Cal), 6-4, 6-2.
Flight One Doubles
#41 Lejla Hodzic/Whitney Deason (1-0, Advances to Quarterfinals): def. Christyn Lucas/Mangda Wojdylo (South Carolina), 8-4.
Theresa Logar/Joanna Kao (0-1): lost to Elena Gantcheva/Sharon Marin (UNLV), 8-6.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive