Sam Warburg Advances to Quarterfinals at the Sherwood Cup
Jan. 14, 2005
Thousand Oaks, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team took part in first and second round singles action at the Sherwood Cup in Thousand Oaks on Friday afternoon. Senior Sam Warburg, the tournament's No. 1 seed, earned victories in first and second round matches to advance to Saturday's quarterfinals.
The top seeded Warburg breezed through his first round match, dispatching UCLA's Jason Chung 6-1, 6-2. The senior then topped Baylor's Greg Shearer in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 to advance to Saturday's quarterfinal match against UCLA's Philipp Gruendler. Junior Jon Wong was the only other Cardinal player to win his first round match, defeating UCLA's Jason Nguyen in straight sets 7-6, 6-2. Wong fell to USC's Johan Berg in the second round 6-2, 6-2.
In other first round action, sophomore James Wan fell to Benjamin Kohlloeffel of UCLA 6-3, 6-0 and sophomore Eric McKean dropped a 6-4, 7-6 decision to UCLA's Luben Pampoulov. The Bruin's Philipp Gruendler knocked off freshman Phil Kao 6-4, 6-4 and UCLA's Mathieu DeHaine bested senior Phil Sheng 6-3, 6-4. Sophomore David Ryan fell in his first Stanford match, losing to Baylor's Michael Kokta 6-1, 6-1, while freshman Lee Chang also dropped his first match Cardinal uniform, falling to San Diego State's Christian Groh 6-1, 6-0.
Warburg's quarterfinal match with Gruendler is scheduled for 11:00 am on Saturday. The consolation singles tournament begins at 9:00 am, and the doubles tournament is slated for a 3:00 pm start.
First Round Singles
1. Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Jason Chung (UCLA) - 6-1, 6-2
2. Jon Wong (Stanford) def. Jason Nguyen (UCLA) - 7-6, 6-2
3. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-4, 6-4
4. Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 6-4, 7-6
5. Michael Kokta (Baylor) def. David Ryan (Stanford) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Christian Groh (San Diego State) def. Lee Chang (Stanford) - 6-1, 6-0
7. Matthieu DeHaine (UCLA) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-4
8. Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. James Wan (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-0