10th-Ranked Women's Tennis Sweeps Utah State in First Match of Season
Jan. 21, 2005
SEATTLE, Wash. - The 10th-ranked Washington women's tennis team kicked off their dual season in dominating fashion today, sweeping Utah State in Provo, Utah. The Huskies (1-0) did not drop a set at any position in their season-opening victory over the Aggies.
The Huskies continued to control the match into singles play. Senior All-American Sumantri, ranked 13th in the country, picked up a 6-1, 6-2 win over Lindsey Bennion at No. 1 singles. Hadzic, a junior, and sophomore Saskia Nauenberg notched straight-set wins at second and third singles. A pair of freshmen earned the first dual wins of their Husky career in the next two singles spots. Allison Rainey topped Utah State's Courtney Anderson, 6-4, 6-0 at No. 4 singles and Tara Simpson defeated Andrea Barker, 6-3, 6-0 at No. 5 singles. Junior Stephanie Svanfeldt rounded out the sweep with a 7-5, 6-1 win over the Aggies' Lauren Monson at sixth singles.
The Huskies will remain in Utah for an early season test tomorrow, when they face the 25th-ranked Cougars of BYU. The match will get underway at 11:00 a.m.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Utah State
1-21-05 - Golds Gym, Provo, Utah
No. 10 Washington 7, Utah State 0
1) (56) Sumantri/Hadzic (UW) def. Bennion/Stephens (USU), 8-0
2) Ahn/Simpson (UW) def. Barker/Anderson (USU), 8-2
3) Nauenberg/Rainey (UW) def. Smith/Monson (USU), 8-5
1) (13) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Lindsey Bennion (USU), 6-1, 6-2
2) Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Jill Smith (USU), 6-2, 6-0
3) Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Carolyn Stephens (USU), 6-2, 6-0
4) Allison Rainey (UW) def. Courtney Anderson (USU), 6-4, 6-0
5) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Andrea Barker (USU), 6-3, 6-0
6) Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW) def. Lauren Monson (USU), 7-5, 6-1
Thu 1/25 | 6:30pm PTLive