Women's Tennis Blanks Long Beach State
Jan. 21, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team defeated No. 58 Long Beach State, 7-0, on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 2-0 this season, while the 49ers start the year at 0-1.
The Trojans grabbed wins at No.2 and 3 doubles to begin the afternoon and clinch the first point. Despite having dropped the doubles point, Long Beach State did not allow USC to get away with all three matches. LBSU's Nicole Bouffler and Sandra Rocha got past the Trojans' Nicole Leimbach and Carine Vermeulen with an 8-4 decision at center court.
Thanks to the play of Lindsey Nelson at court two and Anca Anastasiu at court three, USC garnered two quick points to begin singles play. Nelson defeated Alanah Carroll, 6-1, 6-0, and Anastasiu beat Stephanie Bengson, 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Dianne Matias earned the match-clinching fourth point when she defeated Rocha, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 4 spot. Vermeulen, Leimbach and Judy DeVera finished the afternoon with two-set victories at courts five, six and one, respectively.
Up next, the Women of Troy travel to Malibu to face 37th-ranked Pepperdine on Friday, Jan. 28, at 1:30 p.m.
#7 USC 7, #58 Long Beach State 0
(1) Bouffler/Rocha (LBSU) def. Leimbach/Vermeulen (USC) - 8-4
(2) Anastasiu/Nelson (USC) def. Carroll/Bengson (LBSU) - 8-3
(3) DeVera/Matias (USC) def. Katayama/Porsz (LBSU) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #6 Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. #113 Nicole Bouffler (LBSU) - 7-5, 6-2
(2) #29 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Alanah Carroll (LBSU) - 6-1, 6-0
(3) #62 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Stephanie Bengson (LBSU) - 6-1, 6-1
(4) #70 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Sandra Rocha (LBSU) - 6-3, 6-2
(5) #78 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Rachael Porsz (LBSU) - 6-1, 6-4
(6) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Nicoletta Ratiu (LBSU) - 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: D2, D3*, D1, S2, S3, S4*, S5, S1, S6
* Match-clinching victories.