No. 21 Huskies Sweep Dons, 7-0
Jan. 22, 2005
SEATTLE, Wash. - Without dropping a single set, the 21st-ranked Husky men's tennis team overpowered the Dons of San Francisco, 7-0, today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Washington (2-0) displayed their impressive depth, as no Don was able to win more than three games in any singles set against the efficient Huskies.
The clinching match was earned by freshman Andy Kuharszky who gave Washington an insurmountable 4-0 lead with his 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles. All-American senior Alex Vlaski cruised at the No. 1 singles position, defeating USF's Timo Kienle, 6-2, 6-2. Also earning straight-set wins were sophomore Daniel Chu at No. 2 singles, senior Christoph Palmanshofer at No. 3, senior Peter Scharler in the fifth singles slot, and sophomore Chris Floyd, a 6-2, 6-1 winner at sixth singles.
The Dawgs jumped on San Francisco early on in doubles play, winning all three matches for the 1-0 lead. Vlaski and Palmanshofer were 8-3 winners at the top doubles slot, while Chu and Scharler also earned an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles. Kuharszky and sophomore Mike Ricks trailed their match 5-7 at No. 3 doubles but rallied to force a tiebreak that they took seven points to four to complete the doubles sweep.
The Huskies played this weekend without sophomore star Alex Slovic, the No. 9 player in the country, as he continues to recover from a rib injury. Slovic remains day to day.
The Huskies' lengthy opening homestand continues next weekend with a pair of matches against New Mexico and Michigan State at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Washington hosts the Lobos on Friday, Jan. 28 at 4:00 p.m. then faces the Spartans on Sunday, Jan. 30 at 2:00 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. San Francisco
1/22/05 - Seattle, Wash. - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 21 Washington 7, San Francisco 0
1) Palmanshofer/Vlaski (UW) def. Kienle/Rodriguez (USF), 8-3
2) Chu/Scharler (UW) def. Bertolina/Hogan (USF), 8-3 3)
3) Kuharszky/Ricks (UW) def. Coraza/Huettenberger (USF), 9-8 (4)
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Timo Kienle (USF), 6-2, 6-2
2) Daniel Chu (UW) def. Andrew Hogan (USF), 6-2, 6-0
3) (79) Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Falko Huettenberger (USF), 6-2, 6-3
4) Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Fernando Rodriguez (USF), 6-3, 6-1
5) Peter Scharler (UW) def. Rafael Corazza (USF), 6-0, 6-3
6) Chris Floyd (UW) def. Andrew Bertolina (USF), 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5