Tenth-Ranked Women's Tennis Blanks Gonzaga
Jan. 28, 2005
SEATTLE, Wash. - Washington's tenth-ranked women's tennis team overpowered the Gonzaga Bulldogs today, handing them a 7-0 defeat at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies (3-0) remained undefeated in singles play in their three dual matches this season, and earned their second sweep of the year. It was the first dual of the season for the Bulldogs (0-1).
Washington jumped out to a 1-0 lead behind their first doubles sweep of the season. Senior Mugette Ahn and junior Dinka Hadzic teamed up for the first time at No. 1 doubles for an 8-2 win. Sophomore Saskia Nauenberg and freshman Allison Rainey earned an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles while junior Stephanie Svanfeldt and freshman Tara Simpson worked for an 8-6 win at the third doubles spot.
In singles, Hadzic competed in the top singles spot for the first time in her Husky career, and came through with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Gonzaga's Amanda Becker to cap the day's play. Ahn refused to allow a single game against her at second singles. At the No. 3 spot, Nauenberg cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win over Kendall Bates. With her 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles, Simpson has now posted wins at Nos. 4, 5 and 6 singles in her three matches this season. Rainey notched a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles while Svanfeldt had the clinching point at No. 6 singles, defeating Erin Humphrey, 6-1, 6-1.
Hadzic, Nauenberg, Simpson and Rainey all improved to 3-0 in dual play thus far.
The Huskies return to action tomorrow, Jan. 29 to face the Boise State Broncos at 11 a.m. at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Gonzaga
1-28-05 - Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center - Seattle, Wash.
No. 10 Washington 7, Gonzaga 0
1) Ahn/Hadzic (UW) def. Fry/Williams (GU), 8-2
2) Nauenberg/Rainey (UW) def. Bates/Becker (GU), 8-2
3) Simpson/Svanfeldt (UW) def. Lederhouse/Humphrey (GU), 8-6
1) Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Amanda Becker (GU), 6-4, 6-3
2) Mugette Ahn (UW) def. Angie Fry (GU), 6-0, 6-0
3) Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Kendall Bates (GU), 6-2, 6-1
4) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Sydney Lederhouse (GU), 6-1, 6-0
5) Allison Rainey (UW) def. Sirrah Williams (GU), 6-1, 6-2
6) Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW) def. Erin Humphrey (GU), 6-1, 6-1