Husky Women's Tennis Bucks Broncos, 7-0
Jan. 29, 2005
SEATTLE, Wash. - The 10th-ranked Husky women's tennis team earned its third sweep in just four matches today with a 7-0 blanking of the Boise State Broncos at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies (4-0) captured all six singles matches in straight sets and took two of the three doubles matches to put away the Broncos (0-1).
The Huskies have yet to lose a singles match in dual play, improving to 24-0 after today's results. Two-time All-American Dea Sumantri grabbed her 16th win of the year with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Megan Bjorkman at the top singles slot. Different players, same result at No. 2 singles where junior Dinka Hadzic defeated Alissa Ayling, 6-4, 6-3.
No other singles match was even close. Senior Mugette Ahn downed Nadja Woschek, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 3 singles. The clinching point was provided by sophomore Saskia Nauenberg, via her 6-2, 6-2 victory over Carolina Pongratz in the fourth position. UW's top-two freshmen completed the shut-out as Tara Simpson cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 5 and Allison Rainey notched a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 6.
Washington earned its third doubles point in four tries today thanks to easy wins at first and second doubles. At No. 1, Sumantri and Hadzic rolled to an 8-1 win while Ahn and Simpson dominated their Bronco opponents, 8-0, at No. 2. Boise State earned its only win of the day at No. 3 doubles where Coll and Woschek handled Nauenberg and Rainey, 8-5.
Next week the Huskies will travel to Madison, Wisc. to compete in the prestigious National Team Indoor Championships from Thursday, Feb. 3 to Sunday, Feb. 6. The tournament features 16 of the top teams in the country. Last year, Washington reached the semifinals before losing to eventual champion Stanford.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Boise State
1-29-05 - Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center - Seattle, Wash.
No. 10 Washington 7, Boise State 0
1) (56) Sumantri/Hadzic (UW) def. Ayling/Bjorkman (BSU), 8-1
2) Ahn/Simpson (UW) def. Curtolo/Pongratz (BSU), 8-0
3) Coll/Woschek (BSU) def. Nauenberg/Rainey (UW), 8-5
1) (13) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Megan Bjorkman (BSU), 6-4, 6-3
2) Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Alissa Ayling (BSU), 6-4, 6-3
3) Mugette Ahn (UW) def. Nadja Woschek (BSU), 6-3, 6-1
4) Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Carolina Pongratz (BSU), 6-2, 6-2
5) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Tiffany Coll (BSU), 6-0, 6-1
6) Allison Rainey (UW) def. Stacey Housley (BSU), 6-2, 6-2