No. 7 Stanford Tops No. 28 Cal, 5-2
Jan. 29, 2005
Berkeley, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team got the dual match season off to a good start, handing No. 28 ranked California a 5-2 defeat in Berkeley on Saturday afternoon. Four Cardinal players recorded wins in singles play as Stanford improved to 1-0 on the season, while the Golden Bears fell to 1-1.
Coach Whitlinger's team took the doubles point to start the afternoon, winning two of the three matches. The No. 2 ranked doubles tandem of senior Sam Warburg and KC Corkery wasted no time in giving the Cardinal an early lead, dispatching the No. 30 ranked duo of Patrick Briaud and Conor Niland, 8-4. The Golden Bears answered back at the No. 2 doubles position, as Tyler Browne and Daniel Sebescen defeated senior Phil Sheng and sophomore Eric McKean, 8-3. Junior Jon Wong and sophomore James Wan teamed up to clinch the doubles point for the Cardinal, registering a hard-fought 8-6 decision over Cal's team of Ken Nakahara and John Pettit.
Stanford's ranked players had success in singles play, as No. 4 ranked Warburg defeated No. 21 ranked Niland in straight sets at the No. 1 singles spot 6-4, 6-4. No. 15 ranked Corkery also registered an impressive victory, handing Sebescen a 6-4, 6-2 defeat at the No. 2 position. Sheng also posted a straight set win, knocking off Browne 6-1, 7-5. McKean wrapped up the Cardinal win with a three-set battle at the No. 6 spot, edging Dean Wallace 6-2, 3-6, 6-2.
Wan was defeated at the No. 3 singles position, falling to Briaud 7-6, 6-4. In a contest between two of the top freshmen in college tennis at the No. 5 spot, Cal's Nakahara topped Phil Kao 6-4, 7-5.
Stanford opens its home slate with a pair of dual matches at Taube Tennis Center next weekend. The Cardinal meet San Diego on February 4, and host Fresno State on Saturday, February 5.
Stanford - 5
California - 2
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. #30 Briaud/Niland (Cal) - 8-4
2. Browne/Sebescen (Cal) def. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) - 8-3
3. Wan/Wong (Stanford) def. Nakahara/Pettit (Cal) - 8-6
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #21 Conor Niland (Cal) - 6-4, 6-4
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) - 6-4, 6-2
3. Patrick Briaud (Cal) def. James Wan (Stanford) - 7-6, 6-4
4. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Tyler Browne (Cal) - 6-1, 7-5
5. Ken Nakahara (Cal) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-4, 7-5
6. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Dean Wallace (Cal) - 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
Wed 10/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive