No. 21 Men's Tennis Beats Michigan State, 6-1
Jan. 30, 2005
SEATTLE, Wash. - The 21st-ranked Washington men's tennis team claimed a 6-1 victory over 55th-ranked Michigan State today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies picked up the doubles point and five of the six singles matches against the Spartans (4-2). The win improves the Huskies to 4-0 on the season thus far.
After a number of close first sets in singles, the Huskies ran away from the Spartans in several second sets. Two-time All-American Alex Vlaski pushed the lead to 2-0, knocking off Andrew Formanczyk, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. At sixth singles, senior Peter Scharler downed MSU's Mike Brown in straight sets to bring the Huskies a point away from victory. 79th-ranked Christoph Palmanshofer prevailed, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 singles to clinch the win. In the third singles spot, sophomore Daniel Chu rolled to a 6-4, 6-2 win over Nick Rinks. Freshman Andy Kuharszky suffered his first dual loss at fourth singles to a hard-serving Adam Monich in two sets. The last match of the day saw sophomore Chris Floyd pull out a pair of tiebreaks against MSU's Joe McWilliams, closing out the match on his fourth match point.
Washington jumped out to a 1-0 lead by virtue of winning two out of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Palmanshofer and Vlaski earned an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles. Scharler and Chu then clinched the point with an 8-5 win at the second doubles spot. MSU's Michael Flowers and Nick Rinks salvaged No. 3 doubles for the Spartans, handing sophomore Mike Ricks and Kuharszky an 8-6 loss, their first defeat of the year in dual play.
Up next, the Huskies prepare for one of the marquee events on their home schedule, the Great Northwest Shootout on Feb. 3-5. The three-day round-robin tournament features 11th-ranked Ohio State, No. 19 Tulane and No. 44 Minnesota. Each team will play each other once so each day will feature three matches.
Jan. 30, 2005
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Michigan State
1/30/05 - Seattle, Wash. - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 21 Washington 6, No. 55 Michigan State 1
1) Palmanshofer/Vlaski (UW) def. Formanczyk/Marshall (MSU), 8-2
2) Chu/Scharler (UW) def. Brown/Rinks (MSU), 8-5
3) Flowers/Monich (MSU) def. Kuharszky/Ricks (UW), 8-6
1) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. (102) Andrew Formanczyk (MSU), 6-4, 6-1
2) (79) Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Cameron Marshall (MSU), 6-4, 6-2
3) Daniel Chu (UW) def. Nick Rinks (MSU), 6-4, 6-2
4) Adam Monich (MSU) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW), 7-6 (3), 6-3
5) Chris Floyd (UW) def. Joe McWilliams (MSU), 7-6 (5), 7-6 (5)
6) Peter Scharler (UW) def. Mike Brown (MSU), 6-2, 6-3