No. 1 Stanford Defeats No. 35 Harvard, 5-2
Feb. 3, 2005
Madison, Wis. - Top-ranked Stanford (2-0) won the opening match of the 2005 USTA/ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championship over 34th-ranked Harvard, 5-2, this morning. The win advances the Cardinal to the quarterfinals against Washington tomorrow.
The Cardinal won the doubles point as seventh-ranked duo Erin Burdette and Alice Barnes and 41st-ranked freshman pair Whitney Deason and Lejla Hodzic both posted 8-1 victories over their Crimson foes. Amber Liu and Anne Yelsey added an 8-5 win to help the Cardinal sweep doubles action.
Liu made her singles debut this morning, winning a 6-1, 6-4 match over Courtney Bergman, who is ranked No. 27 in the nation. Liu is currently un-ranked, as she took the fall to refocus her energies after winning her second NCAA Singles Championship last May.
No. 22 Burdette clinched the team win today, defeating No. 45 Susanna Lingman, 6-3, 6-1, while No. 12 Barnes and No. 35 Theresa Logar both added victories over ranked opponents to help secure the Cardinal's win.
'I thought Harvard played very, very well,' head coach Lele Forood said. 'It was tight and we had to really pull out some matches. So I'm happy with the fact that we could do that.'
Stanford is now 18-0 in the first round of the National Team Championship and will face No. 11 Washington tomorrow in the quarterfinals at 3 p.m. (CT). Stanford defeated the Huskies in the semifinals last year.
1. Barnes/Burdette (7) def. Bergman/O'Riain (48), 8-1
2. Liu/Yelsey def. Durkin/Anderson, 8-5
3. Deason/Hodzic (41) def. Wang/Martire, 8-1
1. Amber Liu def. Courtney Bergman (27), 6-1, 6-4
2. Erin Burdette (22) def. Susanna Lingman (45), 6-3, 6-1 **
3. Alice Barnes (12) def. Elsa O'Riain (104), 6-4, 6-4
4. Theresa Logar (35) def. Celia Durkin (123), 6-4, 6-4
5. Preethi Makundan (93) def. Whitney Deason (41), 6-7(4),7-5,1-0(10-4)
6. Eva Wang def. Anne Yelsey (82), 6-4, 7-6 (6)
** - clinched win
Order of finish (singles): 3, 1, 5, 2, 4, 6