Trojans Fall 5-2 To Defending Champs
Feb. 3, 2005
LOS ANGELES - Senior Drew Hoskins captured an upset victory over 11th-ranked Lars Poerschke, but it was not enough as the eighth-ranked USC men's tennis team (3-1) could not keep up with top-ranked and defending national champion Baylor (3-0). The Bears beat the Trojans 5-2 on Thursday afternoon in Waco, Texas.
'We definitely learned a lot today by going up against the best team in the country,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'Now we have to learn from it and start focusing on Texas A&M.'
The match was the first of a two-match road trip for the Trojans through the state of Texas. USC will face Texas A&M on Saturday, Feb. 5, at 1:30 p.m. CT in College Station.
The Bears captured the first point of the afternoon by winning at all three doubles positions. Court two featured the most competitive match-up as Johan Berg and Adam Loucks pushed Baylor's Poerschke and Michael Kokta en route to an 8-6 loss.
In singles, Baylor captured the first two wins to take a 3-0 lead in the match. Trojan redshirt junior Brian Wright kept the Bears from clinching the dual match victory with a decisive 6-1, 6-2 win over Greg Shearer at court four for USC's first point. Eventually Baylor's Kokta got past Loucks, 6-4, 6-4, at court six to clinch.
With the match already decided, Hoskins and Poerschke entered a 10-point third set after splitting the first two, 3-6, 7-6. Hoskins walked away with the upset win thanks to a 10-7 decision in the final set.
#1 Baylor 5, #8 USC 2
(1) Dorsch/Zgaga (BU) def. Al-Agba/Hoskins (USC) - 8-3
(2) Poerschke/Kokta (BU) def. Berg/Loucks (USC) - 8-6
(3) Becker/Reckewey (BU) def. Van't Hof/Wright (USC) - 8-4
Baylor wins doubles point.
(1) Benedikt Dorsch (BU) def. #86 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-2, 6-1
(2) Benjamin Becker (BU) def. #97 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) #116 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. #11 Lars Poerschke (BU) - 3-6, 7-6, 10-7
(4) Brian Wright (USC) def. Greg Shearer (BU) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) #45 Matija Zgaga (BU) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 6-2, 6-1
(6) Michael Kokta (BU) def. Adam Loucks (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: S5, S2, S4, S6*, S1, S3
* Match-clinching victory.
Wed 1/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive