No. 7 Stanford Sweeps No. 44 San Diego, 7-0
Feb. 4, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team swept No. 44 San Diego in the team's home opener at Taube Tennis Center on Friday afternoon, 7-0. Five Cardinal players recorded wins in straight sets in singles play, as Stanford improved to 2-0 on the season, while the Toreros fall to 0-1.
Each of the doubles matches were hotly contested, with the Cardinal tandems edging their Torero counterparts in all three contests. Senior Phil Sheng and sophomore Eric McKean teamed up to defeat San Diego's Robbie Blair and Thomas Liversage, 9-7, at the No. 2 doubles position. The No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery clinched the doubles point for the Cardinal, edging the No. 51 ranked duo of Pierrick Ysern and Nic Beuque, 9-8. Junior Jon Wong and sophomore James Wan closed out the Cardinal doubles sweep with a 9-8 win over San Diego's Mirza Koristovic and Oscar Plotnik at the No. 3 doubles spot.
In one of the marquee singles matchups of the early season, No. 4 ranked Warburg dispatched No. 5 ranked Ysern in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0. Wan also registered a straight-set victory, topping Blair at the No. 3 singles position 6-3, 6-1. Sheng clinched the win for the Cardinal at the No. 4 spot, defeating Koristovic 6-4, 6-2. Corkery, ranked No. 15 in the nation, topped Beuque 6-4, 6-4, while freshman Phil Kao recorded his first dual match win of the spring season with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Liversage at the No. 5 position. At the No. 6 spot, McKean split the first two sets of his match with Plotnik, before winning a tiebreaker, 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8).
Stanford alums and top-ranked professional doubles competitors, Bob and Mike Bryan, will be on hand for the Cardinal's dual match with Fresno State tomorrow afternoon. The duo will host a clinic and question and answer period, followed by an exhibition match with reigning NCAA doubles champions, KC Corkery and Sam Warburg, after the dual match with Fresno State.
Stanford - 7
San Diego - 0
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. #51 Ysern/Beuque (USD) - 9-8
2. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) def. Blair/Liversage (USD) - 9-7
3. Wan/Wong (Stanford) def. Koristovic/Plotnik (USD) - 9-8
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #5 Pierrick Ysern (USD) - 6-2, 6-0
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Nic Beuque (USD) - 6-4, 6-4
3. James Wan (Stanford) def. Robbie Blair (USD) - 6-3, 6-1
4. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Mirza Koristovic (USD) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Thomas Liversage (USD) - 6-3, 6-4
6. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Oscar Plotnik (USD) - 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8)