Top-Ranked Stanford Advances to Semifinals
Feb. 4, 2005
Madison, Wis. - No. 1 Stanford improved to 3-0 on the year today with a 6-1 win over No. 11 Washington in the quarterfinals of the 2005 USTA/ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championship. The Cardinal will face off against No. 13 Georgia in the semifinals tomorrow.
'We're going to see Washington again in two weeks,' noted head coach Lele Forood. 'It gave us a preview of our Pac-10 match.'
Stanford's swept doubles play again to give the Cardinal the first point of the meet, as seventh-ranked Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette posted an 8-4 victory over the Huskies' only ranked doubles pair, No. 56 Dinka Hadzic and Dea Sumantri.
In singles play, 35th-ranked Theresa Logar scored the first win, posting a 6-0, 6-3 win over Saskia Nauenberg. No. 82 Anne Yelsey added a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Allison Rainey before Washington's Dinka Hadzic scored the Huskies lone point at the No. 2 spot.
Stanford will face Georgia for one spot in the finals, while No. 8 Duke and No. 14 Kentucky will battle for the second spot. Un-seeded Georgia has now beat the No. 4 and 5 seeds this week to make it to the third day of competition. Bulldog Shadisha Robinson improved to 2-0 this week at No. 1 singles when she won the clinching match tonight, 6-3, 6-4, against Vanderbilt's Audra Falk.
'We're looking forward to playing the Bulldogs,' added Forood. 'They're a very good team so it should be a really good match.'
Semifinal action will begin at 3 p.m. (CT) on Saturday.
Stanford 6, Washington 1
1. Barnes/Burdette (7) def. Hadzic/Sumantri (56), 8-4
2. Liu/Yelsey def. Ahn/Simpson, 8-5
3. Deason/Hodzic (41) def. Nauenberg/Rainey, 8-4
1. Amber Liu def. Dea Sumantri (38), 7-6(5), 6-1
2. Dinka Hadzic def. Erin Burdette (22), 6-2, 6-4
3. Alice Barnes (12) def. Mugette Ahn, 6-3, 6-0**
4. Theresa Logar (35) def. Saskia Nauenberg, 6-0, 6-3
5. Whitney Deason (41) def. Tara Simpson, 6-3, 6-1
6. Anne Yelsey (82) def. Allison Rainey, 6-1, 6-2
** - clinched win
Order of finish (singles): 4, 6, 2, 3, 1, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 5:00pm PTLive