Men's Tennis Blanks New Mexico State, 7-0
Feb. 5, 2005
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State University men's tennis team (1-0) opened he 2005 dual season with a 7-0, shutout win over New Mexico State (0-3) on Saturday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Sun Devils dropped only one set the entire dual.
ASU quickly took the first point of the dual as they swept all three doubles matches. The No. 3 duo of Christopher Biro and Ryan McBride came off the court first with an 8-3 win over the Aggies Stjepan Beg and Christian Halligan. On the No. 1 court, ASU's tandem of Andy Colombo and Jonathan Kinsella were extended into a tiebreaker before winning the match, 9-8 (6) over Ben Archer-Clowes and Danilo Zivanovic.
In singles action on the No. 1 court, Biro, up 4-0 in the first set, gave ASU its second point when Archer-Clowes had to retire due to an injury. Kinsella soon followed on court No. 3 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Luis Avila, while Nick Hegarty clinched the dual for ASU's on court No. 4 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Beg.
Just after Hegarty came off, McBride won his match on the No. 6 court with a 7-6 (5), 6-0 victory over Halligan. Colombo then gave the Devils a 6-0 lead on the No. 2 court with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Zivanovic. Clint Letcher, who dropped his first set to Williams, ended the dual and secured the shutout with a 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 win on court No. 4.
Up next, the Sun Devils return to action on Sunday as they host UC Santa Barbara at 10:30 a.m.
1. Colombo/Kinsella (ASU) def. Archer-Clowes/Zivanovic (NMSU) - 9-8 (6)
2. Mike Beatty/Letcher (ASU) def. Avila/Williams (NMSU) - 8-6
3. Biro/McBride (ASU) def. Beg/Halligan (NMSU) - 8-3
1. Christopher Biro (ASU) def. Ben Archer-Clowes (NMSU) - 4-0, retired (injury)
2. Andy Colombo (ASU) def. Danilo Zivanovic (NMSU) - 7-5, 6-1
3. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) def. Luis Avila (NMSU) - 6-3, 6-1
4. Clint Letcher (ASU) def. Williams (NMSU) - 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Stjepan Beg (NMSU) - 6-2, 6-26. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Christian Halligan (NMSU) - 7-6 (5), 6-0
TODAY | 2:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive