No. 1 Stanford to Face Kentucky for National Team Title
Feb. 5, 2005
Madison, Wis. - With a 4-0 win over Georgia this afternoon, No. 1 Stanford advances to the championship match of the 2005 U.S. Tennis Association/Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Women's Team Indoor Championship against No. 14 Kentucky.
Stanford (4-0) defeated Georgia, 4-0, in today's semifinal, putting the Cardinal into a record 13th USTA/ITA final tomorrow. Stanford will seek its seventh title at the event, while Kentucky will be playing in its first final and trying to become first unseeded team to ever win the tournament.
Today's match marked the eighth meeting since 1990 between Stanford and Georgia in the semifinals, and the Cardinal's seventh win over the Bulldogs.
Stanford won the doubles point with wins from Amber Liu and Anne Yelsey and Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette. In singles action, Barnes, Theresa Logar and Yelsey all recorded wins to give the Cardinal a 4-0 advantage. The remaining singles matches were not finished.
Logar clinched the win at No. 4 singles, beating Caroline Basu 5-7, 6-1, 6-0. The win is Stanford's 33rd straight dating back to last season.
Stanford and Kentucky last met in the round of 16 in last May's NCAA tournament, with the Cardinal defeating the Wildcats en route to the NCAA Championship.
Sunday's final is at 11 a.m. CT.
1. Barnes/Burdette (7) def. Basu/Robinson, 8-3 **
2. Liu/Yelsey def. Subbotina/Hyndman, 8-0
3. Frazier/Schonfeldova def. Deason/Hodzic (41), 8-2
1. Amber Liu vs. Shadisha Robinson (10), DNF (6-3, 2-6, 5-3)
2. Erin Burdette (22) vs. Natalie Frazier (39), DNF (6-2, 6-7, 1-0)
3. Alice Barnes (12) Evgenia Subbotina, 6-3, 6-3
4. Theresa Logar (35) def. Caroline Basu, 5-7, 6-1, 6-0 **
5. Whitney Deason (41) vs. Kelley Hyndman, DNF (7-6, 2-6, 0-0)
6. Anne Yelsey (82) def. Jitka Schonfeldova, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish (singles): 3, 6, 4
** - clinched win
DNF - Did not finish
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive