No. 7 Stanford Knocks Off Fresno State, 5-2
Feb. 5, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team handed No. 58 Fresno State its first defeat of the season at Taube Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon, 5-2. With the victory, the Cardinal improves to 3-0 on the season, while the Bulldogs fall to 4-1.
Stanford began the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles contests for the second straight match. The No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery improved to 3-0 in dual matches with an 8-3 win over Fresno State's Sergiu Modoc and Jakub Cech at the No. 1 doubles spot. At the No. 2 singles position, senior Phil Sheng and sophomore Eric McKean handed Charles Irie and Nicholas Mascheroni an 8-6 defeat. Junior Jon Wong and sophomore James Wan closed out the sweep at the No. 3 doubles position, beating Sam Gibbs and Andy Sinn 8-4. The duo of Wong and Wan improved to 4-0 in dual match play with the win.
Warburg, the No. 4 ranked singles competitor in the nation, continued his torrid start to the 2005 campaign, dispatching Modoc in straight sets at the No. 1 singles position, 6-1, 6-2. Corkery was impressive at the No. 2 spot, posting a dominant victory over Fresno State's Irie, 6-0, 6-1. Sheng extended his undefeated dual match singles record to 4-0 with a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 win over Sinn at the No. 4 position. Freshman Phil Kao won his singles match at the No. 5 spot, defeating Sam Tadevosian 6-2, 6-2.
McKean had his dual match winning streak halted at three, falling in three sets to Mascheroni at the No. 6 spot, 6-4, 3-6, 0-1. Also suffering defeat for the Cardinal was Wan, who was beaten by Cech at the No. 3 position, 6-3, 6-2.
Stanford alums and top-ranked professional doubles competitors, Bob and Mike Bryan, were on hand for the Cardinal win on Saturday, helping the team start the 2005 season. The Bryans hosted a clinic and question and answer period, followed by an exhibition doubles match with reigning NCAA doubles champions, KC Corkery and Sam Warburg.
The Cardinal continues its five-match home stand on Tuesday, as Saint Mary's comes to Taube Tennis Center for a dual match. Head coach John Whitlinger's son, J.J., is a senior on the Gaels' tennis team.
Stanford - 5
Fresno State - 2
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. Modoc/Cech (Fresno State) - 8-3
2. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) def. Irie/Mascheroni (Fresno State) - 8-6
3. Wan/Wong (Stanford) def. Gibbs/Sinn (Fresno State) - 8-4
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Sergiu Modoc (Fresno State) - 6-1, 6-2
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Charles Irie (Fresno State) - 6-0, 6-1
3. Jakub Cech (Fresno State) def. James Wan (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-2
4. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Andy Sinn (Fresno State) - 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
5. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Sam Tadevosian (Fresno State) - 6-2, 6-2
6. Nicholas Mascheroni (Fresno State) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive