Aggies Rally to Beat Trojans, 4-3
Feb. 5, 2005
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- No. 15 Texas A&M (3-0) captured a three-set victory at No. 6 singles to clinch a 4-3 upset win over the eighth-ranked USC men's tennis team on Saturday, Feb. 5, in College Station.
Playing in front of nearly 1,000 Aggie fans, the Trojans (3-2) won three singles matches, but could not overcome the lost doubles point.
USC and Texas A&M split the first two doubles matches both by 8-2 scores at the No. 1 and 2 courts. The first point of the afternoon came down to court three where Kaes Van't Hof and Brian Wright led 6-5 before the Aggies' Bryan Wooten and Zack Malmgren rallied to break serve twice and win 9-7.
The Trojans started strong in singles as Van't Hof came back to tie the match at 1-1 with a 6-0, 7-6(5) win over Brett Joelson at No. 5. Johan Berg's 6-4, 7-5 victory over Texas A&M's Mohamed Dakki at the No. 3 spot put USC ahead, 2-1.
Texas A&M won the next two matches at courts four and one, but the Trojans responded again. Drew Hoskins beat Ante Matijevic in three sets, 7-5, 2-6, 6-2, at court two.
With the match tied at 3-3, Wooten came back after dropping the first set to beat USC's Adam Loucks, 5-7, 7-5, 6-4, and clinch the match for the Aggies.
The two teams will meet again this season when Texas A&M comes to Marks Tennis Stadium for a 1 p.m. match-up on March 29. Up next, the Trojans host crosstown rival and second-ranked UCLA on Friday, Feb. 11, at 1:30 p.m.
#15 Texas A&M 4, #8 USC 3
(1) Joelson/Matijevic (TAMU) def. Al-Agba/Hoskins (USC) - 8-2
(2) Berg/Loucks (USC) def. Dakki/Makowski (TAMU) - 8-2
(3) Malmgren/Wooten (TAMU) def. Van't Hof/Wright (USC) - 9-7
Texas A&M wins doubles point.
(1) #23 Jerry Makowski (TAMU) def. #89 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-2, 6-3
(2) #116 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Ante Matijevic (TAMU) - 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
(3) #97 Johan Berg (USC) def. Mohamed Dakki (TAMU) - 6-4, 7-5
(4) #73 Yevgeny Supeko (TAMU) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(5) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Brett Joelson (TAMU) - 6-0, 7-6, (5)
(6) Bryan Wooten (TAMU) def. Adam Loucks (USC) - 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: D1, D2, D3, S5, S3, S4, S1, S2, S6*
* Match-clinching victory
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:30pm PTLive