No. 1 Stanford Wins USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championship
Feb. 6, 2005
Madison, Wis. - No. 1 Stanford defeated Kentucky, 4-0, this afternoon to win its second-straight and eighth overall title at the U.S. Tennis Association/Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Women's Team Indoor Championship at the University of Wisconsin's A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
Top-seeded Stanford (5-0), has appeared in 13 of 18 USTA/ITA finals, and now owns a 34-match win streak that dates back to the beginning of last season. Stanfordout-scored its four opponents 19-3 this week and 41-5 in the last-two years in Madison.
In singles, freshman Hodzic kicked things off with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Daniella Petrinsko. Yelsey scored a 6-1, 6-1 win over Lara Maurer before Theresa Logar clinched the Cardinal victory with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Kim Coventry. Logar went 4-0 at the National Indoors and is 8-0 at this event over the past two years, and she owns a 32-0 record in dual matches over the past two seasons.
'We knew this (Kentucky) team pretty well,' head coach Lele Forood said. 'We played them in the NCAA Round of 16 last year, and I liked how we matched up with them. We came out strong in doubles today and carried that momentum into singles.'
USTA/ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championship
Final - Stanford 4, Kentucky 0
1. Barnes/Erin Burdette (S) vs. Kalsarieva/Foster (UK),did not finish
2. Liu/Yelsey (S) def.Coventry/Schwenk (UK), 8-3
3.Deason/Hodzic (S) def. Maurer/Christine Simpson (UK),8-2
(Stanford won doubles point)
1. Amber Liu (S) vs. Aibika Kalsarieva (UK), did not finish
2. Alice Barnes (S) vs. Sarah Foster (UK), did not finish
3. Theresa Logar (S) def.Kim Coventry (UK),6-3, 6-1
4. Whitney Deason (S) vs.Joelle Schwenk(UK), did not finish
5. Anne Yelsey (S) def.Lara Maurer(UK),6-1, 6-1
6. Lejla Hodzic(S) def. Daniella Petrinsko(UK),6-1, 6-2
(order of finish: 6, 5, 3)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive