No. 7 Stanford Dispatches Saint Mary's, 7-0
Feb. 8, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - All six singles players won matches in straight sets, as the No. 7 ranked Stanford men's tennis team defeated Saint Mary's at Taube Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon, 7-0. The Cardinal extended its unbeaten record to 4-0 on the season, while the Gaels drop to 2-5.
Stanford dominated throughout the dual match, beginning the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches. The No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery defeated Saint Mary's duo of Adam Fauvre and J.J. Whitlinger, 8-2, at the No. 1 doubles position. Sophomore James Wan and junior Jon Wong extended their dual match doubles winning streak to five matches with an 8-2 victory over Julien Tizot and Yury Platonov at the No. 3 doubles spot. Senior Phil Sheng and sophomore Eric McKean had a tougher road at the No. 2 doubles position, but managed to complete the sweep with an 8-5 win over Andre Sion and Martin Marechal.
Warburg, the No. 4 ranked singles competitor in the nation, dominated in his match at the No. 1 singles spot, and did not concede a game in his 6-0, 6-0 win over Marechal. Corkery defeated Fauvre 6-3, 6-3, while Sheng posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over Tizot in his first dual match at the No. 3 singles position this season. The second half of the singles slate featured more of the same, as Wan topped Platonov at the No. 4 spot 6-1, 6-1, and freshman Phil Kao topped Sion at the No. 5 position 6-0, 5-1, with the Saint Mary's player retiring due to injury. Wong concluded the sweep with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over head coach John Whitlinger's son, J.J. at the No. 6 spot.
The Cardinal looks to extend its four-match winning streak against Arizona and Arizona State this weekend. Friday's match against the Wildcats is scheduled for a 1:30 pm start, while Saturday's match against the Sun Devils has been moved up to a 12:00 pm start.
Stanford - 7
Saint Mary's - 0
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. Fauvre/Whitlinger (Saint Mary's) - 8-2
2. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) def. Sion/Marechal (Saint Mary's) - 8-5
3. Wan/Wong (Stanford) def. Tizot/Platonov (Saint Mary's) - 8-2
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Martin Marechal (Saint Mary's) - 6-0, 6-0
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Adam Fauvre (Saint Mary's) - 6-3, 6-3
3. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Julien Tizot (Saint Mary's) - 6-1, 6-1
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Yury Platonov (Saint Mary's) - 6-1, 6-1
5. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Andre Sion (Saint Mary's) - 6-0, 5-1(ret. injury)
6. Jon Wong (Stanford) def. J.J. Whitlinger (Saint Mary's) - 6-1, 7-5