No. 7 Stanford Extends Unbeaten Streak To Five With Win Over Arizona State, 5-2
Feb. 12, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team registered its fifth straight win to begin the 2005 season, defeating Arizona State at the Taube Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon, 5-2. Junior KC Corkery and seniors Sam Warburg and Phil Sheng posted wins in singles play to remain undefeated in dual matches this season.
Stanford claimed the doubles point, winning two of the three matches to begin the afternoon. The No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery defeated the duo of Andy Colombo and Jonathan Kinsella of Arizona State at the No. 1 doubles spot, 8-1. Senior Phil Sheng and sophomore Eric McKean wrapped up the doubles point at the No. 2 doubles position, defeating Mike Beatty and Clint Letcher, 8-6. Junior Jon Wong and sophomore James Wan tasted defeat for the first time this season at the No. 3 doubles spot, falling to Ryan McBride and Nick Hegarty, 9-8.
In singles play, Stanford won matches at the top four positions to clinch the match. Warburg dispatched Colombo at the No. 1 singles position, 6-3, 6-4, while Corkery defeated Christopher Biro at the No. 2 spot, 6-0, 6-4. At the No. 3 position, Sheng remained undefeated in dual match play with a win over Kinsella, 7-5, 7-5. Wan closed out the Cardinal victory with a 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 win over Letcher at the No. 4 spot.
Arizona State won points at the No. 5 and No. 6 positions, with both matches going to three sets. Freshman Phil Kao was defeated at the No. 5 spot by Hegarty, 6-3, 4-6, 1-0, while McKean dropped a 7-6, 4-6, 6-1 decision to Beatty at the No. 6 position.
The Cardinal host Arizona tomorrow at 11:00 am, concluding the dual match that was rained out during singles play on Friday. Stanford won the doubles point against the Wildcats. The Cardinal will travel to Chicago for the National Indoor Championships this week, beginning play on Thursday.
Stanford - 5
Arizona State - 2
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. Colombo/Kinsella (Arizona State) - 8-1
2. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) def. Letcher/Beatty (Arizona State) - 8-6
3. McBride/Hegarty (Arizona State) def. Wan/Wong (Stanford) - 9-8
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Andy Colombo (Arizona State) - 6-3, 6-2
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Christopher Biro (Arizona State) - 6-0, 6-4
3. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Jonathan Kinsella (Arizona State) - 7-5, 7-5
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Clint Letcher (Arizona State) - 7-5, 5-7, 1-0
5. Nick Hegarty (Stanford) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-3, 4-6, 1-0
6. Mike Beatty (Arizona State) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 7-6, 4-6, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive