Seventh-ranked Cardinal Posts 7-0 Shutout Over Arizona
Feb. 13, 2005
Seventh-ranked Stanford ran its record to 6-0 today after shutting out visiting Arizona, 7-0, at the Taube Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal won the doubles point and went on to sweep the six singles matches.
K.C. Corkery and Sam Warburg won their doubles match 8-5 over Arizona's Roger Matalonga and Colin O'Grady, the came back in singles to beat the same Wildcat duo. Warburg won the No. 1 singles match over Matalonga 6-3, 6-2 and Corkery defeated O'Grady at No. 2 singles 4-6, 6-6, 6-3.
James Wan teammed with Jon Wong to win at No. 3 doubles before moving on to beat Daneil Andrus at No. 4 singles 6-4, 6-2. Also posting wins in singles competition was Phil Sheng at No. 3 singles, 6-4, 6-4 over Arizona's Paul Warkentin, Phil Kao at No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-1 over UA's Bruno Alcala and Eric McKean at No. 6 singles, 6-4, 6-3 over Jason Labross.
Stanford heads to the National Indoor Championships this week (Feb. 17-20) in Chicago.
Stanford - 7
Arizona - 0
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. Matalonga/O'Grady (Arizona) - 8-5
2. Alcala/Andrus (Arizona) def. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) - 8-5
3. Wan/Wong (Stanford) def. Warkentin/Christen (Arizona) - 8-1
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Roger Matalonga (Arizona) - 6-3, 6-2
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Colin O'Grady (Arizona) - 6-3, 6-3
3. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Paul Warkentin (Arizona) - 6-4, 6-4
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Daneil Andrus (Arizona) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Bruno Alcala (Arizona) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Jason Labross (Arizona)- 6-4, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive