No. 7 Stanford Suffers First Defeat At National Team Indoor Championship
Feb. 17, 2005
Chicago, Ill. - The Stanford men's tennis team had its six match winning streak snapped in the opening round of the USTA/ITA National Indoor Championship in Chicago on Thursday, falling to No. 9 ranked Virginia 4-1. Stanford will take on Oklahoma State squad in consolation bracket action tomorrow at 12:00 pm.
Stanford started the match by losing the doubles point for the first time in a dual match this season. Virginia's tandem of Somdev Devvarman and Treat Huey knocked off the duo of senior Phil Sheng and sophomore Eric McKean at the No. 2 doubles spot, 8-5. Senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery, the No. 2 ranked tandem in the nation, evened the score with a thrilling 9-7 defeat of the No. 19 ranked team of Rylan Rizza and Nick Meythaler at the No. 1 doubles position. With the doubles point on the line, the Cavalier team of Darrin Cohen and Doug Stewart defeated the duo of sophomore James Wan and junior Jon Wong in a tiebreaker at the No. 3 doubles spot, 9-8 (5).
Virginia excelled at the bottom of the lineup in singles play, with Cohen defeating Eric McKean at the No. 6 spot, 6-1, 6-3. Freshman Phil Kao was defeated by No. 104 ranked Treat Huey at the No. 5 position, 6-2, 6-3 to give the Cavaliers a 3-0 lead. Sheng posted the only singles victory for the Cardinal and registered his first win over a ranked opponent this season, topping the No. 22 ranked Somdev Devvarman at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 6-2. Virginia clinched the 4-1 win at the No. 1 spot, as No. 19 ranked Doug Stewart upset No. 4 ranked Warburg, 6-4, 6-4.
Corkery's match against Rizza at the No. 2 position, and Wan's match against No. 63 ranked Marko Miklo at the No. 4 spot were not finished.
The Cardinal continues play at the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championship, as the squad takes on Oklahoma State in consolation bracket action tomorrow at 12:00 pm (CT). The Cowboys lost their first round contest to UCLA, 4-2.
Virginia - 4
Stanford - 1
Doubles (Virginia wins doubles point)
1. #2 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. #19 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) - 9-7
2. Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) - 8-5
3. Stewart/Cohen (UVa) def. Wong/Wan (Stanford) - 9-8 (5)
1. #19 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) - 6-4, 6-4
2. #36 Rylan Rizza (UVa) led #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) - 7-6(2), 2-2 (DNF)
3. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. #22 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) - 6-2, 6-2
4. #63 Marko Miklo (UVa) led James Wan (Stanford) - 6-5 (DNF)
5. #104 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Phil Kao (Stan) 6-2, 6-3
6. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Eric McKean (Stan) 6-1, 6-3