Trojans Fall To Sixth-Ranked Mississippi, 4-0
Feb. 17, 2005
SAN DIEGO - Senior Drew Hoskins was leading the first set, 6-5, at court No. 2 but that's as close as 12th-ranked USC (3-3) got against sixth-ranked Mississippi (5-0). The Rebels beat the Trojans, 4-0, on Thursday, Feb. 17, in the opening round of the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships in Chicago, Ill.
USC now goes on to play 14th-ranked Harvard, which lost to Florida 4-0, on Friday at 9 a.m. CST in consolation play.
The Rebels captured the first point of the morning by clinching two of the three doubles positions. Court two featured the most competitive match-up as Troy's Johan Berg and Jamil Al-Agba led 7-5 against Mississppi's Erling Tveit and Fredrik Aarum but were not able to finish after the Rebels had secured the doubles point on courts one and three.
In singles, Mississippi captured the first three wins at courts four, five and six to get the victory. The Rebels' Juan Pablo Di Cesare clinched the match for Mississippi by defeating the Trojans' Adam Loucks, 6-2, 6-2, at court six.
USC's Hoskins, who is 5-0 in singles play this season, was leading 6-5 against Mississippi's Eric Claesson before play was ended following Di Cesare's clinching victory.
#6 Mississippi 4, #12 USC 0
(1) Gard/Claesson (Miss) def. Hoskins/Van't Hof (USC) - 8-4
(2) Berg/Al-Agba (USC) vs. Tveit/Aarum (Miss) - 7-5, suspended
(3) Berge/Klaeson (Miss) def. Wright/Loucks (USC) - 8-2
Mississippi wins doubles point.
(1) #1 Catalin Gard (Miss) vs. #86 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-2, 4-3, suspended
(2) #116 Drew Hoskins (USC) vs. Eric Claesson (Miss) - 6-5, suspended
(3) Bram ten Berge (Miss) vs. #97 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-4, 5-5, suspended
(4) Erling Tveit (Miss) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 6-3, 6-1
(5) Jakob Kleason (Miss) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 6-2, 6-3
(6) Juan Pablo Di Cesare (Miss) def. Adam Loucks (USC) - 6-2, 6-2 *
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6* Match-clinching victory.
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive