No. 16 Huskies Blank Bulldogs, 7-0
Feb. 18, 2005
SEATTLE, Wash. - It was a dominating day at the Nordstrom Tennis Center for the 16th-ranked Husky men's tennis team, as they recorded a 7-0 sweep of the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Washington (8-1) did not lose a set at any position, cruising past the Bulldogs in just over two hours.
Washington moved in front quickly in doubles play, winning the second and third doubles matches to clinch the point. At No. 1 doubles, sophomore Alex Slovic and freshman Andy Kuharszky improved to 5-0 as a tandem with an 8-3 win over Gonzaga's Dru Ernst and Bryce Cooper.
Slovic and Cooper's mach at No. 1 singles was the closest match of the day, but the ninth-ranked Husky still won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. It marked the first occasion Slovic has moved into the top singles spot. At second singles, sophomore Daniel Chu was a 6-4, 6-1 winner over Ernst.
Third through sixth singles were all heavily in the Huskies' favor as they recorded five 6-0 sets among the four matches. 79th-ranked senior Christoph Palmanshofer remains perfect in dual play at 8-0, after knocking off Brett Womack, 6-0, 6-1. Senior Peter Scharler was the stingiest of all Husky players, blanking Cooper Fratt, 6-0, 6-0, at the fourth singles spot. Kuharszky earned an impressive 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles. Rounding out the sweep was sophomore Mike Ricks, who upped his dual singles record to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Gonzaga's Robert Pinney at No. 6 singles.
One week from today the Huskies will be back in action taking on 54th-ranked Texas Tech at 5 p.m. at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Gonzaga
2/18/05 - Seattle, Wash. - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 16 Washington 7, Gonzaga 0
1) Kuharszky/Slovic (UW) def. Ernst/Cooper (GU), 8-3
2) Chu/Ricks (UW) def. Fratt/Penney (GU), 8-2
3) Scharler/Palmanshofer (UW) def. Womack/Pineda (GU), 8-2
Doubles Order: 3, 2, 1
1) (9) Alex Slovic (UW) def. Bryce Cooper (GU), 6-3, 6-4
2) Daniel Chu (UW) def. Dru Ernst (GU), 6-4, 6-1
3) (79) Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Brett Womack (GU), 6-0, 6-1
4) Peter Scharler (UW) def. Cooper Fratt (GU), 6-0, 6-0
5) Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Marco Pineda (GU), 6-1, 6-0
6) Mike Ricks (UW) def. Robert Pinney (GU), 6-2, 6-0
Singles Order: 3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 1