No. 7 Cardinal Edged By Oklahoma State At National Team Indoor Championship
Feb. 18, 2005
Chicago, Ill. - The Stanford men's tennis team was edged in the consolation quarterfinals at the USTA/ITA National Indoor Championship in Chicago on Friday, falling to No. 15 seed Oklahoma State, 4-3. The Cardinal fall to 6-2 on the season, and will play a match against USC at 9:00 am tomorrow morning.
Stanford started the match by losing the doubles point for the second straight match, after not having conceded the doubles point through the first six dual matches of 2005. At the No. 2 doubles position, the tandem of senior Phil Sheng and Eric McKean were defeated by Oklahoma State's Felipe Diaz and Boris Kuharic, 8-2. The Cowboy duo of Artie Burmistrau and Tomas Bohunicky sealed the doubles point with an 8-3 victory over sophomore James Wan and junior Jon Wong at the No. 3 spot. Senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery were leading their doubles match against Mark Van Elden and Daniel Byrnes at the No. 1 doubles position, 6-5, but the match was not completed.
Warburg evened the score at one in singles play, dispatching No. 44 ranked Van Elden in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. No. 15 ranked Corkery also registered a win in singles play, defeating No. 115 ranked Bohunicky at the No. 2 spot, 7-5, 6-4. Wan rounded out the Cardinal victories in singles play, defeating Burmistrau at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 6-1. Sheng suffered his first defeat in a dual match this season, falling to Kuharic at the No. 3 spot, 6-3, 6-4. Byrnes tied up the dual match at three with a 6-3, 6-0 defeat of McKean at the No. 6 position, setting up a showdown between freshman Phil Kao and Diaz at the No. 5 spot to decide the match. In a three-set battle, Diaz edged Kao 7-6, 5-7, 7-6 to clinch the win for Oklahoma State.
The Cardinal continues play at the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championship, as the squad takes on Pac-10 foe USC in consolation bracket action tomorrow at 9:00 am (CT). The Trojans fell to Harvard in consolation quarterfinal play, 4-2.
Oklahoma State - 4
Stanford - 3
Doubles (Oklahoma State wins doubles point)
1. #2 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) led Van Elden/Byrnes (OSU) - 6-5 (DNF)
2. Kuharic/Diaz (OSU) def. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) - 8-2
3. Bohunicky/Burmistrau (OSU) def. Wong/Wan (Stanford) - 8-3
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #44 Mark Van Elden (OSU) - 6-4, 6-2
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. #115 Tomas Bohunicky (OSU) - 7-5, 6-4
3. Boris Kuharic (OSU) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-4
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Artie Burmistrau (OSU) - 6-2, 6-1
5. Felipe Diaz (OSU) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) 7-6 (4), 5-7, 7-6 (5)
6. Daniel Byrnes (OSU) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) 6-3, 6-0