No. 1 Stanford Sweeps No. 75 Washington State
Feb. 18, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - Top-ranked Stanford defeated Washington State this afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center, winning a 7-0 decision over the Cougars and improve to 7-0 on the year.
The Cardinal started with the win in doubles, as 12th-ranked Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette scored an 8-1 decision along with Amber Liu and Anne Yelsey at the two-spot. In the third slot, freshmen Whitney Deason and Lejla Hodzic added an 8-2 victory to complete the sweep.
In singles, all six Cardinal players picked up two-set victories, with Yelsey scoring an impressive 6-0, 6-0 win, Burdette, Deason and Hodzic all won with only two games lost. Liu and Barnes also picked up wins as Stanford shutout the Cougars, 7-0.
The Cardinal will be back in action tomorrow, as Stanford hosts No. 8 Washington at noon. The squads met earlier this season, with the top-ranked Cardinal handing Washington its only loss of the season at the National Team Indoors. The match will be available to watch live through GoStanford.com's webcast.
Stanford 7, Washington State 0
1. Alice Barnes/Erin Burdette (S) def. Ekaterina Burduli/Nora Gaal (WSU), 8-1
2. Amber Liu/Anne Yelsey (S) def. Chris Martinez/Orsolya Sallai (WSU), 8-1
3. Whitney Deason/Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Amy Toth/Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU), 8-2
1. Amber Liu (S) def. Ekaterina Burduli (WSU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Alice Barnes (S) def. Orsolya Sallai (WSU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Erin Burdette (S) def. Chris Martinez (WSU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Whitney Deason (S) def. Amy Toth (WSU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Anne Yelsey (S) def. Nora Gaal (WSU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU), 6-2, 6-0