Van't Hof Clinches 4-3 Win Over Seventh-Ranked Stanford
Feb. 19, 2005
CHICAGO - In a match that came down to the wire, the 12th-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated seventh-ranked Stanford, 4-3, on Saturday, Feb. 19, in consolation play at the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships in Chicago, Ill. Freshman Kaes Van't Hof clinched the win for the Trojans with a 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Stanford's Phil Kao.
With the win, USC improves to 4-4 overall, while Stanford falls to 6-3.
USC's victory is the third in the last four matches against Stanford.
USC earned wins at the two and three doubles positions, including a narrow 9-8 victory at No.2, to clinch the first point of the morning.
Stanford battled back in singles, winning the first two matches at the fourth and second positions. Troy's Adam Loucks evened it up at two with a, 6-4, 6-2, victory over the Cardinal's Jon Wong at court No. 6. Sam Warburg, the fourth-ranked player in the county, gave Stanford the lead with a victory over USC's Jamir Al-Agba, 7-6, 6-3, on center court. USC rallied back to take the last two matches and secure the victory with wins by 97th-ranked Johan Berg, who defeated Phil Sheng 7-6, 6-4, and Van't Hof.
Next up, the Trojans come home to Los Angeles to host California on Friday, Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m. and Stanford on Saturday, Feb. 26, at 1 p.m. Both matches will be held at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#12 USC 4, #7 Stanford 3
(1) #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stan) def. Hoskins/Van't Hof (USC)- 8-4
(2) Berg/Al-Agba (USC) def. Sheng/McKean (Stan) - 9-8(6)
(3) Wright/Loucks (USC) def. Wong/Wan (Stan) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Sam Warburg (Stan) def. #89 Jamir Al-Agba(USC) - 7-6(4), 6-3
(2) #15 KC Corkery (Stan) def. #116 Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) #97 Johan Berg (USC) def. Phil Sheng (Stan) - 7-6(6), 6-4
(4) James Wan (Stan) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 6-0, 6-1
(5) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Phil Kao (Stan) - 7-5, 4-6, 6-4*
(6) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Jon Wong (Stan) - 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6, 1, 3, 5
* Match-clinching victories.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive