No. 1 Stanford Tops No. 21 Fresno State, 7-0
Feb. 22, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - No. 1 Stanford (8-0) defeated No. 21 Fresno State (1-2) by a 7-0 score, marking the Bulldogs' second-straight loss without a point and the Cardinal's second-straight shutout.
Stanford won all-three matches in doubles, with the 10th-ranked duo of Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette and the 55th-ranked pair of Amber Liu and Anne Yelsey both scoring 8-5 wins and freshmen Whitney Deason and Lejla Hodzic posting an 8-2 victory at the No. 3 spot.
Stanford went on to win five two-set decisions in singles, as all-six Cardinal players are ranked in the top-30 in the most recent Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, released today.
No. 27 Theresa Logar posted a 6-1, 6-0 victory while No. 30 Deason earned a 6-2, 6-1 win and No. 24 Hodzic took a 6-1, 6-3 decision. Hodzic's singles ranking is the first of her collegiate career. Liu posted a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Lucia Tallo at the No. 1 spot and Burdette notched a 6-4, 6-4 win. Barnes, whose match finished after Stanford clinched the team win, split her first two sets and won a 10-2 tiebreaker for the third set to help the Cardinal complete the sweep.
Stanford will be at home again this weekend, against No. 11 UCLA and No. 12 USC at the Taube Tennis Center. On Friday, the Cardinal will host the Bruins at 1:30 p.m., and on Saturday, Stanford will match up against the Trojans.
Stanford 7, Fresno State 0
1. No. 10 Barnes/Burdette (S) def. No. 49 Jantz/Sainz (F), 8-5
2. No. 55 Liu/Yelsey (S) def. Tallo/Winterhalter (F), 8-5
3. Deason/Hodzic (S) def. Masiyazi/Haskett (F), 8-2
1. No. 28 Amber Liu (S) def. Lucia Tallo (F), 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 22 Alice Barnes (S) def. Katharina Winterhalter (F), 6-3, 5-7 1-0 (10-2)
3. No. 14 Erin Burdette (S) def. Lucia Sainz (F), 6-4, 6-4
4. No. 27 Theresa Logar (S) def. Jacqui Haskett (F), 6-1, 6-0
5. No. 30 Whitney Deason (S) def. Courtney Jantz (F), 6-2, 6-1
6. No. 24 Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Fadzai Masiyazi (F), 6-1, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive