Men's Tennis Downs Northern Arizona, 6-1
Feb. 23, 2005
TEMPE, Ariz. --- The Arizona State University men's tennis team (4-1) defeated Northern Arizona University (2-5), 6-1, Wednesday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. ASU swept the doubles portion and won five of the six singles matches to extend their all-time record against the Lumberjacks to 32-0.
The Sun Devils opened the dual by sweeping all three doubles matches for the first point. Court #3 came off first as Christopher Biro and Nick Hegarty made quick work of NAU's Aldert Jansma and Kyle Thieme, 8-2. On court #2, both NAU and ASU broke each others serve early in the match, but ASU's tandem of Clint Letcher and Ryan McBride eventually prevailed with an 8-5 win. The Devils' #1 team of Andy Colombo and Jonathan Kinsella finished the sweep with another 8-2 win.
In singles action, ASU's Hegarty earned the team's second point with an easy 6-1, 6-1 win over Jansma on the #4 court. Colombo on court #2, Letcher on #3 and Biro on the #1 court soon followed also with straight sets wins.
NAU grabbed its lone point on the #6 court when Ronnie Tuttle came back from dropping the first set to upend ASU's Mike Beatty, 1-6, 7-5, 6-2. NAU looked to take another point on the #4 court when Jamie Maxwell won the first set, 6-4, and was up early in the second set, but ASU's Kinsella then turned the tide, going on to win the second set and the third for the final, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 winner.
Up next, the Sun Devils host in-state rival Arizona on Friday at 1:30 p.m. The dual will not count towards the overall Pac-10 standings.
1. Colombo/Kinsella (ASU) def. Lilja/Schram (NAU) - 8-2
2. Letcher/McBride (ASU) def. Coll/Maxwell (NAU) - 8-5
3. Biro/Hegarty (ASU) def. Jansma/Kyle Thieme (NAU) - 8-2
1. Christopher Biro (ASU) def. Jeremy Coll (NAU) - 6-3, 6-2
2. Andy Colombo (ASU) def. Thibault Schram (NAU) - 6-2, 6-4
3. Clint Letcher (ASU) def. Henrik Lilja (NAU) - 6-3, 6-2
4. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) def. Jamie Maxwell (NAU) - 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Aldert Jansma (NAU) - 6-1, 6-16. Ronnie Tuttle (NAU) def. Mike Beatty (ASU) - 1-6, 7-5, 6-2