Men's Tennis Claims 5-2 Win Over California
Feb. 25, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The 11th-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated No. 30 California, 5-2, on Friday, Feb. 25, at Marks Tennis Stadium. Sophomore Jamir Al-Agba closed out the match with an upset over No. 16 Conor Niland, 5-7, 6-4, 10-8 at court No. 1.
With the win, USC improves to 5-4 overall, while California falls to 4-3.
USC's victory is the fourth consecutive against California.
USC earned the first point of the match in doubles with wins at the first and third positions. The Trojans' Al-Agba and Johan Berg upset the No. 11 Golden Bears' doubles combo of Patrick Briaud and Niland, 8-6 at center court. Troy's Adam Loucks and Brian Wright won the other doubles match, 8-5, over California's Ken Nahahara and John Pettit at court No. 3. Cal didn't go quietly though with USC's Drew Hoskins and Kaes Van't Hof losing to Tyler Browne and Daniel Sebescan, 8-5, at court No. 2.
USC started singles play with three wins right off the bat to clinch the match. The Trojans' Hoskins took care of California's Briaud, 6-2, 6-1, at court No. 2. Loucks followed suit for Troy, beating Pettit, 7-5, 6-4 at court No. 6. The Trojan's Johan Berg clinched the match over Cal's Browne, 6-0, 7-6, at court No. 3. Cal took the next two singles points before Al-Algba ended the day with his upset over Niland.
'Our doubles and Jamir Al-Agba lead the way for us. We had great performances out of our top three guys.' Said Head Coach Peter Smith.
Next, the Trojans wrap up their weekend with their match against Stanford on Saturday, Feb. 26, at 1 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#11 USC 5, #30 California 2
(1) Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. #11 Briaud/Niland (Cal)- 8-6
(2) Browne/Sebescen (Cal) def. Hoskins/Van't Hof (USC) - 8-5
(3) Wright/Loucks (USC) def. Nakahara/Pettit (Cal) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #50 Jamir Al-Agba (USC) def. #16 Conor Niland (Cal) - 5-7, 6-4, 10-8
(2) #51 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Patrick Briaud (Cal) - 6-2, 6-1
(3) #97 Johan Berg (USC) def. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) - 6-0, 7-6(4)*
(4) Tyler Browne (Cal) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
(5) Ken Nakahara (Cal) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
(6) Adam Loucks (USC) def. John Pettit (Cal) - 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 3, 5, 4, 1
* Match-clinching victories.