Stanford Takes 6-1 Victory Over UCLA
Feb. 25, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - Top-ranked Stanford (9-0) posted a 6-1 victory over No. 11 UCLA (5-3) this afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center. For the first time this season, the Cardinal dropped the doubles point, but the team rebounded quickly and swept all six positions in singles action.
Amber Liu and Anne Yelsey, ranked No. 55 in the nation, scored an 8-2 victory at the two-spot in doubles, but the win was not enough as UCLA came out victorious in the two extremely close matches on courts one and three. In the top spot, Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette faced third-ranked Daniela Bercek and Riza Zalameda, but the Cardinal duo lost an intense 10-8 tiebreaker and fell 9-8 in the first doubles match. On court three, freshman pair Whitney Deason and Lejla Hodzic also lost a close battle, as the Bruins won the doubles point with a 9-7 score.
In singles, the Cardinal's depth proved too much for UCLA. With seven players ranked in the top-100 and six ranked in the top-30, Stanford overpowered the Bruins. Yelsey won a 6-1, 6-1 decision while Burdette and Deason both added 6-2, 6-2 victories. Barnes was the fourth player to score a two-set win, posting a 6-4, 6-2 victory.
After dropping her first set, Liu posted a 6-1 second-set score of Bercek to force a third. As Barnes had not yet clinched the match, Liu began the third set and went on to win that by a 6-1 score, as well. Theresa Logar came back from a 7-5 first set loss with a 6-1 second-set, but by then, the team victory had already been decided, so Logar played a tiebreaker in the third set. She posted a 10-2 decision to help the Cardinal sweep singles.
The Cardinal will be back on the court tomorrow, hosting No. 12 USC (6-0) at 12-noon. The Trojans defeated California, 5-2, earlier today in Berkeley.
No. 1 Stanford 6, No. 11 UCLA 1
1. No. 3 Daniela Bercek/Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. No. 10 Alice Barnes/Erin Burdette (S), 9-8 (10-8)
2. No. 55 Amber Liu/Anne Yelsey (S) def. No. 42 Laura Gordon/Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA), 8-2
3. Sarah Gregg/Tracy Lin (UCLA) def. Whitney Deason/Lejla Hodzic (S), 9-7
1. No. 28 Amber Liu (S) def. No. 38 Daniela Bercek (UCLA), 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 22 Alice Barnes (S) def. No. 15 Riza Zalameda (UCLA), 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 14 Erin Burdette (S) def. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA), 6-2, 6-2
4. No. 27 Theresa Logar (S) def. Tracy Lin (UCLA), 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-2)
5. No. 30 Whitney Deason (S) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA), 6-2, 6-2
6. No. 94 Anne Yelsey (S) def. No. 98 Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA), 6-1, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive