Men's Tennis Falls 5-2 To Stanford
Feb. 26, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The 11th-ranked USC men's tennis team lost, 5-2, to Stanford on Saturday, Feb. 26, in Palo Alto, Calif. in a non-conference match. The loss comes just one week after Troy upset the, then-ranked No. 7, Cardinal, in Chicago, Ill., during the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships.
With the loss the Trojans fall to 5-5 on the season, while Stanford improves to 7-4.
'Stanford played a great match.' Said USC Head Coach Peter Smith, 'We got frustrated early and did not get anything going, but that was because they played a great match.'
The match got started off with Stanford claiming the doubles point from positions one and three. USC's Drew Hoskins and Kaes Van't Hof prevented the doubles sweep by defeating Phil Kao and Phil Sheng, 8-5, at court No. 2.
Stanford took control of singles play early on as they claimed the victory, taking the first four singles matches. The Cardinal's K.C. Corkery clinched the match, defeating the Trojans' Drew Hoskins, 6-2, 6-3, at court No. 2. Troy did not go out without a fight though, winning the last two matches. USC's Johan Berg defeated Stanford's Phil Sheng, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, at court No. 3 to get USC on the board and the Trojans' Adam Loucks closed out the match with a win over the Cardinal's Eric McKean, 7-6, 7-6, at court No. 6.
The Trojans return to the court Tuesday, March 1, when they face cross-town rival UCLA at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#18 Stanford 5, #11 USC 2
(1) #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stan) def. Al-Agba/Berg (USC) - 8-5
(2) Hoskins/Van't Hof (USC) def. Kao/Sheng (Stan) - 8-5
(3) McKean/Wan (Stan) def. Loucks/Wright (USC) - 8-6
Stanford wins doubles point.
(1) #6 Sam Warburg (Stan) def. #50 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(2) #31 K.C. Corkery (Stan) def. #51 Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-2, 6-3 *
(3) Johan Berg (USC) def. #92 Phil Sheng (Stan) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
(4) James Wan (Stan) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 6-4, 6-0
(5) Phil Kao (Stan) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 6-1, 6-4
(6) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Eric McKean (Stan) - 7-6, 7-6
Order of Finish: S1, S5, S2*, S4, S3, S6
* Match-clinching victory.