No. 8 Women's Tennis Knocks Off Illinois, 6-1
Feb. 26, 2005
SEATTLE, Wash. - Washington's eighth-ranked women's tennis team returned home to the Nordstrom Tennis Center for the first time since January today and celebrated with a 6-1 romp over 45th-ranked Illinois. The Huskies (9-1, 1-0 Pac-10) swept singles play against the Fighting Illini (6-4) to overcome continued struggles in doubles play.
The marquee match-up took place at No. 1 singles, where fifth-ranked senior Dea Sumantri downed 36th-ranked Cynthya Goulet, 6-3, 6-4 for her 11th win over a ranked opponent this season. Sumantri, UW's second top-ten player in history, picked up her 20th win against only six defeats.
Senior Mugette Ahn moved up to No. 2 singles for the first time in her career and responded with a 6-1, 7-6 win over Macall Harkins. Ahn owns the best Husky dual record so far, at 8-1, and over the last two seasons is a combined 15-2 in dual play. 37th-ranked junior Dinka Hadzic provided the clinching point via her 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles over Momei Qu. Sophomore Saskia Nauenberg prevailed in three sets over Brianna Knue in the fourth singles slot. It was an easy 6-1, 6-1 win for freshman Tara Simpson in the fifth position, and fellow freshman Allison Rainey closed out the Husky scoring with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-3 triumph in the No. 6 singles spot. Nauenberg, Simpson and Rainey all improve to 8-2 in dual play.
The Huskies continued their mysterious doubles play difficulties, losing the second and third doubles matches to drop their fifth straight doubles point. Hadzic and Sumantri picked up an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles, but Illinois recorded a pair of 8-3 wins in the final two spots.
Up next for Washington are a pair of road duals down in San Diego. Friday, March 4, the Huskies face San Diego at 2 p.m., then take on San Diego State the following day at 12 noon.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Illinois
2/26/05 - Nordstrom Tennis Center - Seattle, Wash.
No. 8 Washington 6, No. 45 Illinois 1
1) Hadzic/Sumantri (UW) def. Goulet/Wang (Ill), 8-6
2) (58) Harkins/Knue (Ill) def. Ahn/Simpson (UW), 8-3
3) Qu/Sokolova (Ill) def. Nauenberg/Svanfeldt (UW), 8-3
1) (5) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. (36) Cynthya Goulet (Ill), 6-3, 6-4
2) Mugette Ahn (UW) def. Macall Harkins (Ill), 6-1, 7-6
3) (37) Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Momei Qu (Ill), 7-5, 6-3*
4) Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Brianna Knue (Ill), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
5) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Anastasia Sokolova (Ill), 6-1, 6-1
6) Allison Rainey (UW) def. Pavlina Akritas (Ill), 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive