Stanford Men's Tennis Falls To UCLA, 4-3
Feb. 25, 2005
Los Angeles, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team suffered its fourth straight dual match defeat on Friday afternoon, falling to No. 4 ranked UCLA at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, 4-3. The Cardinal drops to 6-4 on the season, while the Bruins improve to 11-1.
After dropping the doubles point in each of their last three matches, Stanford got back on track by winning the doubles portion of Friday's dual match with UCLA. The No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery got the Cardinal off to a good start with a 9-7 victory over the No. 44 ranked duo of Benjamin Kohlloeffel and Luben Pampoulov at the No. 1 doubles spot. The Bruins evened the score at the No. 2 doubles position, as Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta handed senior Phil Sheng and freshman Phil Kao an 8-5 defeat. The Cardinal clinched the doubles point at the No. 3 spot as sophomores Eric McKean and James Wan teamed up to dispatch Mathieu Dehaine and Chris Lam, 8-3.
The Bruins stormed back in singles play, winning three straight matches before rain delayed the match with the Bruins leading 3-1. Corkery suffered his first dual match singles defeat this season, falling to No. 10 ranked Kohlloeffel at the No. 2 singles spot 6-2, 6-0. Kao fell to No. 89 ranked Francis 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 5 position, and UCLA's Jeremy Drean defeated junior Jon Wong at the No. 6 spot, 6-4, 6-0.
Following the rain delay, Warburg closed out a straight set victory over No. 12 ranked Pampoulov 7-5, 6-4. Wan posted the other Cardinal singles victory, remaining undefeated at the No. 4 singles position this season with a three set win over Chris Lam 6-4, 3-6, 6-2. The Bruins clinched the match at the No. 3 singles position, with No. 42 ranked Kwinta defeating No. 92 ranked Sheng in three sets 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.
Stanford continues its road trip tomorrow afternoon, traveling to USC to take on the Trojans at 1:00 pm.
UCLA - 4
Stanford - 3
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. #44 Kohlloeffel/Pampoulov (UCLA) - 9-7
2. Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) def. Sheng/Kao (Stanford) - 8-5
3. McKean/Wan (Stanford) def. Dehaine/Lam (UCLA) - 8-3
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #12 Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) - 7-5, 6-4
2. #10 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. #31 KC Corkery (Stanford) - 6-2, 6-0
3. #42 Kris Kwinta (UCLA) def. #92 Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Chris Lam (UCLA) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
5. #89 Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-4, 6-1
6. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Jon Wong (Stanford) - 6-4, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/27 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 3:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 5:30pm PTLive