Stanford Men's Tennis Tops USC, 5-2
Feb. 26, 2005
Los Angeles, Calif. - The No. 18 ranked Stanford men's tennis team snapped a four-match losing streak with a victory over No. 11 USC at Marks Tennis Stadium in Los Angeles on Saturday afternoon, 5-2. With the win, the Cardinal avenged a defeat at the hands of the Trojans during last week's USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championship and improved to 7-4, while USC drops to 5-5 on the season.
Stanford started the afternoon by capturing the doubles point for the second straight dual match. The No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery defeated USC's Johan Berg and Jamir Al-Agba at the No. 1 doubles position, 8-5. The Trojans tied it up at the No. 2 spot, as the duo of Drew Hoskins and Kaes Van't Hof handed senior Phil Sheng and freshman Phil Kao an 8-5 defeat. Stanford clinched the doubles point at the No. 3 position, with sophomores James Wan and Eric McKean defeating Adam Loucks and Brian Wright, 8-6.
The Cardinal's success continued at the top two singles positions, with both Warburg and Corkery registering straight set wins over ranked opponents. Warburg, ranked No. 6 in the nation, defeated No. 50 ranked Al-Agba 6-3, 6-2, while Corkery dispatched No. 51 ranked Hoskins 6-2, 6-3. Wan also recorded a straight set victory, registering a 6-4, 6-0 win over Wright at the No. 4 singles position. Kao avenged his loss to Van't Hof last week with a 6-1, 6-4 victory at the No. 5 position on Saturday.
The Trojans earned their points at the No. 3 and No. 6 spots, as Berg defeated No. 92 ranked Sheng in three sets 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, and Loucks edged McKean at the No. 6 position 7-6, 7-6.
The Cardinal returns to The Farm for a dual match against William & Mary on Wednesday, before traveling to the Pacific Coast Doubles tournament in La Jolla next weekend.
Stanford - 5
USC - 2
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. Al-Agba/Berg (USC) - 8-5
2. Hoskins/Van't Hof (USC) def. Sheng/Kao (Stanford) - 8-5
3. McKean/Wan (Stanford) def. Loucks/Wright (USC) - 8-6
1. #6 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #50 Jamir Al-Agba (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
2. #31 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. #51 Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-2, 6-3
3. Johan Berg (USC) def. #92 Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 6-4, 6-0
5. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 6-1, 6-4
6. Adam Loucks (USC) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 7-6, 7-6
Fri 8/18 | 3:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 7:00pm PTLive