Men's Tennis Rallies To 5-2 Upset Over Crosstown Rival No. 4 UCLA
March 1, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The 17th-ranked USC men's tennis team upset crosstown rival and fourth-ranked UCLA, 5-2, on Tuesday, March 1, at Marks Tennis Stadium. Seniors Drew Hoskins and Johan Berg pulled great comebacks after dropping the first set and freshman Kaes Van't Hof clinched the match for the Trojans.
With the win, USC improves to 6-5 overall and picks up 2.5 points in the Lexus Gauntlet Challenge, while UCLA falls to 12-2.
UCLA earned the first point of the match in doubles with wins at the first and third positions. The Trojans' Al-Agba and Johan Berg prevented the doubles sweep with an upset over No. 28 Bruins' doubles combo of Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta, 9-8, at court No.2.
In singles, UCLA picked up the first singles point to go up 2-0 in the match following Chris Lam's victory over USC's Brian Wright, 6-4, 6-0, at court No. 4.
The Bruins looked to be in good shape to take the match by taking the first set in four of the six matches. USC fought back though. Adam Loucks put Troy on the board with a comeback of his own, 2-6, 7-5, 7-5, over No. 65 Phillip Gruendler at court No. 6.
The Trojan's Hoskins then tied the match at 2 with an improbable comeback. After losing the first set 6-1 and being down 4-0 in the second, Hoskins, ranked 51st, came alive and upset 10th ranked Benjamin Kohlloeffel, 1-6, 6-4, 6-1, at court No. 2.
USC's Berg put the Trojans' up for good with his own rally after losing the first set, defeating UCLA's No. 42 Kris Kwinta, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, at court No. 3. Troy's Van't Hof then clinched the match for the Trojans beating the Bruins' Francis, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, at court No. 5. UCLA's No. 12 Luben Pampoulov then surrendered the match to USC's Jamil Al-Agba, 6-4, 4-6, 4-3, at center court.
'The one thing you can say is we definitely fought today. We've had to fight against Pepperdine and Stanford and we certainly did today against the Bruins. We fought and fought and fought like Trojans, especially after being down so bad,' said Head Coach Peter Smith.
The Trojans next take the court against Arizona on Friday, March 11, at 1:30 p.m. MST in Tucson, Ariz. and against Arizona State on Saturday, March 12, at 1 p.m. MST in Tempe, Ariz.
#17 USC 5, #4 UCLA 2
(1) #44 Kohlloeffel/Pampoulov (UCLA) def. Hoskins/Van't Hof (USC)- 8-5
(2) Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. #28 Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) - 9-8
(3) Gruendler/Lam (UCLA) def. Wright/Loucks (USC) - 8-4
UCLA wins doubles point.
(1) #50 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. #12 Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) - 6-4, 4-6, 4-3
(2) #51 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. #10 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) - 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
(3) Johan Berg (USC) def. #42 Kris Kwinta (UCLA) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
(4) Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 6-4, 6-0
(5) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #89 Alberto Francis (UCLA) - 6-3, 3-6, 7-5*
(6) Adam Loucks (USC) def. #65 Phillip Gruendler (UCLA) - 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 1
* Match-clinching victories.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Tue 4/24 | 6:00pm PTLive